Acupuncture For Migraines - Effective Or Not?
Migraine. Just the thought of it causes dread for millions of sufferers. Many have learned to expect and live with migraine pain, but they would rather not think of the next episode.
Acupuncture for Migraines - What Is Involved?
Acupuncture is a type of alternative or complementary medicine, derived from traditional Chinese medicine. This treatment for pain involves insertion of fine needles into particular points in the body known as "acupuncture points". The needles are then gently manipulated.
Acupuncture for Migraine Prevention - Between Attacks
If you decide to try acupuncture for migraines between your migraine attacks, and have an acupuncturist who distinguishes between prevention and treatment, you may receive SES acupuncture for migraines.
You will receive your SES treatment in a sitting position. Fine acupuncture needles will be inserted very shallowly into your skin. The acupuncture points chosen for SES will usually be on your forearms and lower legs. The needles will then be gently manipulated, pushed back and forth, by hand while you exhale.
Acupuncture for Migraine Treatment - During Attacks
If you decide to try acupuncture for migraines during a migraine attack, and receive a typical treatment, fine needles will be inserted into acupuncture points all over your body. The needles will then be gently pushed back and forth. As it is moved, each needle will cause small blood vessels around itself to dilate. This will increase the blood flow throughout your body's tissues.
Your acupuncturist may take a different approach, however. Since your migraine pain is generally believed to be linked to blood vessel dilation in your head, he or she may not want to insert needles in the head and neck area. To do so might make your pain worse temporarily. Instead, your acupuncturist may use only the acupuncture points on your arms and legs.
Great Britain Research on Acupuncture for Migraines
* On 15 March 2004, four British newspapers reported on a study that found acupuncture helpful to people with migraines.
* The four papers based their stories on a randomized, controlled trial. That trial studied the effects of using acupuncture for migraines along with more common types of care. The trial was conducted in twelve (12) different areas of England and Wales. It involved 401 patients in all. It reported results for 301 of those patients.
* Patients treated with acupuncture for migraines had less severe headaches than those who received more common treatments. The patients treated with acupuncture for migraines also had fewer days off work, took less medication, and visited the doctor less often than did patients given only standard care.
United States Research on Acupuncture for Migraines
Two publications in the United States have published studies that have lead to strong, positive conclusions on the effectiveness of acupuncture for migraine relief.
1. Journal of the American Medical Association (JAMA)
Under the title, "Acupuncture for Patients with Migraine," JAMA published a study involving 302 patients. Most of the patients were female. Patients were grouped into those who received acupuncture for migraines, those who received sham acupuncture for migraines, and a wait-list control.
The researchers concluded that sham acupuncture was no less effective than regular acupuncture. Both acupuncture for migraines and sham acupuncture, however, had much greater positive effect on migraines than did the wait-list control.
2. Blackwell Synergy
In this study, 160 women were studied to determine if acupuncture for migraines was effective or not. This study pitted acupuncture for migraines against the use of Flunarizine for migraines.
* Group A received acupuncture for their migraines every week for two months. After that, they received acupuncture once monthly for four months.
* Group B was given Flunarizine every day for two months. After that, they received the medication twenty days out of the month for four months. The study's conclusion was profound. Acupuncture for migraines won as the more effective treatment of the two.
Acupuncture for Migraines - Does It Hurt?
You may be among those migraine sufferers who see acupuncture for migraines as a choice between the pain of the headache and the pain of needles. You may be among those who have an intense fear of needles. How can you get past the fear?
1. FIRST: Seek out a well-qualified, professional acupuncturist. Get recommendations, if possible. Be sure the acupuncturist is licensed and certified according to the law in your area.
2. SECOND: Visit the acupuncturist before making an appointment. Ask to see needle-sterilizing procedures. Ask if they use disposable needles.
3. THIRD: If you still fear the needles, ask if there is an alternative. Some offer magnetic needles, ear cups, and/or herbal methods.
4. FOURTH: Make an appointment.
When you go for your appointment, be sure you explain exactly the problem you are having, its frequency, and intensity. Provide as much medical information as possible. This will help the acupuncturist provide the acupuncture for migraines treatment that is best for you.
NOTE: It is wise to keep your primary health care provider aware that you are using acupuncture for migraines in addition to or in place of any treatment he or she may advise.
Related Tags: migraine headache, migraine relief, migraine treatment
©2007, Anna Hart. Read Anna's articles at Migraine Relief Blog for more answers to your questions about migraine headache pain and its treatments. Your Article Search Directory : Find in Articles
Recent articles in this category:
- How Safe Are Prescription Topical Non - Steroidal Drugs... Particularly in the Elderly?
The treatment of osteoarthritis, to date, is essentially palliative.Osteoarthritis is a degenerative
- The Biggest Acne Myths Dispelled
Acne scars are sort of like being hit while you are down. First you live with the misery of the init
- Natural Cure For Eczema - Become Eczema Free, The Natural Way!
When it comes to eczema, doctors' tend to have little advice to offer other than using creams and lo
- Childhood Obesity Cured With Hypnosis
It is very unfortunate when a child is suffering from obesity. It is a very major medical problem th
- Children Changing With Hypnosis
The challenges we face everyday in the world may cause difficulties in life for not only adults, but
- Don't Suffer in Silence - Remove Your Warts and All
Many people suffer with skin conditions that can leave them worried, scared and feeling like they co
- Treat Red and Irritated Skin Easily
Wash your skin with a gentle cleanser, apply a cold compress, soak in a warm oatmeal bath, apply Alo
- How to Effectively Treat Stretch Marks to Diminish Them
Stretch marks or striae appear as red or purple marks on the skin and are actually a form of scarrin
- Medicine: A Science and Art
Medicine is all about dealing with the healing human ailments. It is both a science as well as art a
- Six Important Facts About Babesia
Babesia, which causes Babesiosis, generally requires two hosts throughout its lifespan. It originate
Most viewed articles in this category:
- Sinus Headache Relief
Sinus headache is a result of inflammation in the passage behind the cheeks, nose and eyes. It cause
- Simple Lifestyle Changes That Can Help You Get Rid Of Acne
As anyone who has ever suffered knows, acne can be a debilitating condition, causing humiliation and
- Acne Treatment For Children
Acne is a very common thing for children and adolescents especially between the ages of nine and sev
- Coping With An Ileostomy Due To Crohns Disease
Crohn's sufferers that have constipation due to a stricture, have a severe case of Crohn's that may
- Are There Home Remedies For Acid Reflux?
Acid Reflux or heart burn as it is commonly called is a very unpleasant condition in which the liqui
- How To Relieve Sinus Pressure
Swollen, inflamed sinuses are, to put it mildly, very uncomfortable. Sinuses get infected and inflam
- The Pain Of The Psoriasis Patient
Psoriasis is one of the most difficult diseases people have to deal with, effecting many areas in th
- Lipitor Memory Loss: When Memories Vanish, What Can You Do?
Lipitor memory loss has been experienced by patients taking this statin medication to reduce cholest
- Are Discount Vitamins For Everyone?
And the news is --- discount vitamins really are for just about everyone! Young, old, male, female,
- Are Pharmaceutical Sales Reps Really Needed?
Aside from a few free samples, some cheap pens and calendars, or maybe a sweet magnet to put on your