Locating a Reputable Debt Consolidation Company
If you are looking for a company that will help you consolidate your debt, you need to be cautious. Consolidating your loans into a single low interest loan can be a very good step financially, however there is a wide range of quality in the help you can receive. Some organizations are going to be more helpful than others and a few will even try to scam you.
Here are a few tips to make sure you go with a reputable debt consolidation company:
1. Don't assume that a non-profit company is necessarily going to look out for your interests more than a for profit debt consolidation company. There are non-profits that are basically trying to take advantage of people in debt.
2. Go with a company that has a good reputation. Your local bank is probably a good place to start. Banks are in the business of providing loans and they make money when people pay back those loans. A company that makes money just by getting someone to signup for a loan may be less likely to look out for your needs over the long term.
3. Watch out for balloon loans. Balloon loans are a type of debt that allows you to pay a very small amount monthly for 5 to 10 years. At the end of that period you are required to pay off the debt in full. Since the monthly payments are usually low, you often end up just paying on the interest. This means that at the end of 5 years you still have made very little progress toward getting out of debt.
4. Check with the Better Business Bureau before selecting a debt consolidation company. If others have had a bad experience you want to know before deciding to go with them.
5. Do the math yourself. Take the time to work through the expenses yourself and see how much you will be paying, how long it will take to pay off the loan, etc. Don't just rely on someone else to tell you what they think is best.
6. If you don't understand something be sure to ask questions until you do. A good debt company is going to want you to fully understand everything. If you get the feeling that they don't want to explain everything to you, beware.
7. Make sure you understand the difference between variable and fixed rate loans. If you sign up for a variable rate loan, you may get a lower rate initially, but within a few years it may go up. It is important for you to understand not only your starting payments, but what those payments may be in the future.
By following these guidelines and using good common sense you should be able to steer clear of companies that might be looking to take advantage of you.
Related Tags: debt consolidation, debt management, debt settlement, debt reduction
The Mexico501 website offers insight into life in Mexico and tips for people looking at moving "south of the border". You can find more information about the Mexico water supply at the site as well.Your Article Search Directory : Find in Articles
Recent articles in this category:
- The Beginning of the Cataloging Code
The first significant cataloging code was published in 1841. The realization that cooperation and s
- In the Lap of the Gods 24
Life moved on. Lily became well liked by both students and staff because of her cheerful outlook on
- In the Lap of the Gods 23
Does fate decide the future? Is it all mapped out for us, predestined, or can we influence what com
- Write Your Memoir: How to Write About What Troubles You the Most
Everyone has a story to tell, and unfortunately those stories aren't always pleasant. What makes me
- How Crafty Word Order Can Instantly Improve Your Writing
by Philip Yaffe I am usually very reticent about offering writing tips. Unless they are linked to
- You Say Grandpa, I Say Deda
I was born with two grandmothers but only one grandfather. In nature's rules of familial supply and
- My Russian American Dichotomy
I was a Russian girl and an American teenager. I had no choice about the first but I tried very har
- In the Lap of the Gods 22
This is just an explanation for those who have read some of the other Chapters of, "In the Lap of t
- Write a Book: 8 Reasons You Should Do it
Studies have shown that 82% of people want to write a book, but few of these actually ever achieve
- Book Review: the Book of Common Prayer
Book Review: The Book of Common Prayer, "My carry-with-me copy is this size, and I recommend it for
Most viewed articles in this category:
- Real Estate Investment - Investing In Commercial Properties
As in any other type of investment, its obviously advisable to do your research well so that the pro
- Taking Care Of Acne Prone Skin With Proper Skin Care Products
Although acne has been largely associated with teeners and puberty, the condition is not only confin
- Do I Really Need Eight Hours Of Sleep Each Night?
What if you were told that there is no definitive answer for why we need to sleep? Your initial reac
- How to Improve Your FICO Credit Score
If you didn't know this already, having a good credit score is more important than having a lot of c
- 10 Tips for a Magnificent Memory
"Where did I leave my keys?" "What did I come in here for?" "Your glasses are on top of your head!"
- Things You Might Like To Know About Card Companies
If you have a regular income and are 18 or over then you may be able to get a credit card. You will
- Bad Breath in Babies and Toddlers
If your baby or toddler has had bad breath lately, not to worry. There are plenty of things you can
- Starving College Students No More
The majority of today's college students are extremely Internet savvy. In fact, many of those studen
- Cosmetic Surgery Financing: How Can You Get It?
Cosmetic surgery, a branch of plastic surgery, can be quite expensive, especially if you are plannin
- Article Marketing, Improve Your Ranking With Links
Article Marketing, without a doubt remains the best free formula for attracting website traffic. At