3 Questions to Ask Yourself Before that Media Center PC Purchase
This is one question everyone should ask themselves before buying a Media Center PC. Be honest with yourself because this answer dictates the answers to the rest of the questions.
The purpose of your Media Center should be just that. As a Media Center. Movies, music, pictures, internet, and anything else you want to do. The Media Center is not intended to do your taxes, or write your term paper. Do not get us wrong, it is completely capable of doing these tasks. The point of this question is to narrow down what kind of hardware you will need to do what you want your machine to do. Keep this in mind. What do you want your Media Center PC to do?
2. What kind of software should my Media Center PC use?
This is a question that is up for much debate. However, your answer to this question and the previous question will answer the last question. There are 2 basic thoughts on this, either Windows OS, or Linux OS. It really depends on your comfort level and what you want to accomplish with your Media Center PC. Lets breakdown strong points and weak points of each.
Windows • Strong Point : Known for its point and click ease
• Strong Point : Works with most if not all hardware
• Strong Point : Allot of software options to go with
• Weak Point : Hefty price tag. For Media Center Edition you are looking between 100-200 dollars just for the software
• Weak Point : Known for their security issues. Updates, after updates, after updates.
• Weak Point : Must run virus software and firewall software. This is a must for security.
• Strong Point : Extremely stable. No need to reboot ever. After updates, you just restart the program you are running and the update is applied. No reason to restart the system.
• Strong Point : Extremely secure. No need to run virus software or firewall software. This makes it use less resources hardware wise. Thus making it run on lower end PC's.
• Strong Point : Extremely configurable. If you dont like something, change it. Literally anything in Linux you can change and optimize and tailor to your hardware, reducing hardware requirements further.
• Strong Point : Completely 100% free. Not only is the OS free, most software you run on the OS is free. Yes, that is right, free.
• Weak Point : If you have never used Linux, it can be hard to setup and get running the first time.
• Weak Point : Not as much software available as Windows. There is software available for anything you want to do. Just not as much as Windows.
3. How much should I pay for my Media Center PC?
This question is answered by the first 2 you asked yourself. The requirements of Linux are much lower to do the same thing as Windows. Think about this. The Tivo runs with a 54Mhz processor. Now ask yourself this. Why would you want to spend thousands of dollars on the latest and greatest hardware out there, when it would be a lot cheaper for you to use different hardware? You could spend 2000 dollars and upwards on a new Dual Core system with 2 gigs of ram, a monster video card, and the best of everything. What do you gain though? It wont play the HD any better. It wont make your picture look better. You gain no benefits. You could spend a little and get a Media Center PC that does anything you want, or you could spend alot and get the same Media Center PC that does the same things. Its up to you.
Related Tags: dvd, video, audio, burn, rip, multimedia, media center, htpc, tvease, hannibal
Your Article Search Directory : Find in Articles
Recent articles in this category:
- Free Internet Security Software from Google
Selecting the internet security software for your computer can be a daunting task for most home user
- Home Key Logger - Track Computer Activity
What goes through your mind when you think about a home key logger? Do you think about a rogue progr
- Computers and Electronics Have Changed The Way We Live
You push the on button and your monitor screen springs to life. Next, you use your mouse to bring up
- What PacketShaper Can Do For You?
What is PacketShaper?It is an application-intelligent traffic management system which delivers predi
- Key Logger Software for Your Computer
One thing that many of us are concerned about is the safety of our children and what happens when th
- Keep Your PC Healthy With Computer Tips & Tricks
Everybody just has to have a computer these days. Life without a computer is unimaginable. I am sure
- Antivirus - What is a Computer Virus?
Before understanding what a computer virus is, it is necessary to understand what a virus in when it
- Gibberish Spam Email - Why Do Spammers Send It?
We have all seen many spam emails that just make no sense. They contain pure gibberish in the subjec
- Your Children And The Internet - 5 Tips To Keep Your Children Safe While They Are Online
If your children are on the Internet you may be concerned about their safety. We hear stories regula
- How To Compare Residential VOIP Offerings
Many people are turning to VOIP phone for several different reasons, the biggest reason being cost.
Most viewed articles in this category:
- Experience the new Microsoft Zune and Future Technology with Bill Gates at CES Keynote
After the demonstration of Windows Vista by Bill Gates at the CES keynote, Robbie Bach, President of
- Internet Connection Sharing in Windows XP
This articles explains in detail how to set up a small network at home so you can share your Interne
- Nortel VPN Client Overview
The Nortel VPN Client creates the secure connection for VPN users into a private network. Once you l
- Computer Phobias
Years ago around the end of January I would develop Chinophobia (fear of snow). Maybe it was becaus
- Why Someone Stole My Mobile Phone
Not so long ago my mobile phone was stolen. I kept asking why I was the one who got targeted, especi
- CCTV: the story continues
CCTV – Closed Circuit Television – for some time at least has been used by various gover
- iPod Stuff: How To Set Your iPod's Alarm Clock
The good thing about the iPod alarm clock feature is that you can wake up with the tune of your favo
- Computer hardware simplified
Computer Hardware is a comprehensive term which refers to all the physical parts of a computer inclu
- Office printers: introduction to technology and types
With every bit of information transfer and manipulation going digital these days, almost the entire
- A to Z of Mac Parts
The Mac OS: Mac OS runs smoothly. That's what I noticed first off. There's very little waiting, very