Why Use Beeswax Candles? Beeswax Candles vs Paraffin
Better for your health
Better for the environment
Unsurpassed for sheer beauty.
Economy: Beeswax is the most economical candle wax! When kept out of drafts, beeswax candles are smokeless, dripless and burn up to five times longer than paraffin candles. So while they cost more initially, they save you money in the long run.
Health: Paraffin candles create indoor air pollution! Paraffin is made from petroleum sludge. It is highly refined and treated with carcinogenic chemicals. The black smoke a paraffin candle emits is basically diesel exhaust!
There are a number of major toxic chemicals in paraffin, including the carcinogens benzene and toluene. Most of the wicks in paraffin candles contain metal cores and lead. When they burn, those metals go up in smoke. You don't want to breathe all that, do you?
Pure Beeswax burns cleanly, is considered hypoallergenic, and is recommended for people with asthma and chemical sensitivity.
Beeswax is the only wax that emits negative ions when it burns. Negative ions help to clean the air of dust, smoke and pollens. Negative ions can help to reduce fatigue. Keep a beeswax candle burning on your desk while you work, and notice how much calmer you feel during the busy day.
Environment: Being a petroleum fuel, paraffin candles are reliant upon foreign oil. American beeswax, on the other hand, is made from a natural renewable resource right here in the USA!
Beauty: Like fine chocolate, good beeswax developes a soft, velvety "bloom" on its surface. Beeswax candles have a brighter flame than do paraffin candles. This golden flame often has a halo around it.
How to be a smart candle shopper:
1. Make sure the candles are described as "Pure" or "100% Beeswax" and the wicks are 100% cotton. Labeling laws allow candles that have as little as 10% beeswax to be sold as "beeswax candles". Most of these so-called beeswax candles are blended with cheap paraffin in order to cut costs.
2. Make sure the beeswax is American. Many foreign countries allow dangerous chemicals to be used on the beehives as well as in the processing. Some countries ban the importation of such beeswax, but the USA does not.
3. Always buy unscented beeswax candles. "Why?" you say.
Because beeswax candles have their own marvelous honey fragrance!
Because synthetic fragrance chemicals are petroleum chemicals- and are especially toxic when burning! "Aromatherapy" candles made using synthetic fragrances are merely trading on the public's ignorance and trust. The American Lung Association says "Refrain from burning scented or slow-burning candles that have additives."
Essential oils, while of safer origins than synthetics, were never intended to be set on fire. Essential oils turn into unknown chemical compounds when burned, and just because they're natural doesn't mean they're safe. The proper way to use essential oils for Aromatherapy is to inhale their aromas fresh or in steam vapor, not in a burning candle.
A wonderful way to use essential oils for aromatherapy is to use a diffuser called an "oil warmer", "tart warmer" or "scented oil warmer" with a beeswax tea light. You not only get the full benefit of aromatherapy, you also receive the negative ions and golden flame that only a beeswax candle can give.
A pure beeswax candle creates an aura of peace and serenity that cannot be matched by any other kind of candle. Some things just cannot be improved upon!
Related Tags: aromatherapy, candles, beeswax, paraffin, diffuser
About the Author:
Siri Amrit Kaur Khalsa has Multiple Chemical Sensitivity (MCS) and survived cancer using Alternative Medicine. She started Tigerflag Natural Perfumery at http://www.tigerflag.com to give people safe and beautiful alternatives to toxic perfumes, soaps and candles. Her site also serves as a resource for information about MCS.
You may print or publish this article as long as you use it in its entirety, with credit to the author and Tigerflag Natural Perfumery, LLC.Your Article Search Directory : Find in Articles
Recent articles in this category:
- Prrevent Alzheimer's Disease With Natural Lifestyle
No other disease stirs more fear than Alzheimer's disease. This mind robbing affliction is presently
- Stop Heartburn -heartburn Home Remedies
Heartburn consists in a burning sensation that starts in the lower part of the chest and can extend
- Biomagnetic Therapy - The History Of Healing With Magnets
At first glance, it may seem that using magnets for healing is a recent phenomenon, but using magnet
- Salvia Divinorum Ingestion And Possible Side Effects
Salvia divinorum is a psychoactive mint which is used in traditional spiritual practices. This drug
- Upper Back Pain - Natural And Alternative Treatments For Backache Relief
Upper back pain is not normally the result of a spinal disorder, but it is more likely to be caused
- Aromatherapy Massage Activates Your Emotional Memory
Aromatherapy is body and skin care treatments use essential oils to make you feel calm, relaxed, or
- Muscle Joint Pain Treatment And Herbal Remedies That Work Effectively
Muscle and joint pain is not at all a rare medical condition. It can be the result of certain diseas
- Lower Back Pain - 7 Useful Herbs And Herbal Remedies For Treating Lower Backache
Lower back pain is a common medical condition that affects almost everybody at some point or another
- Hip Joint Pain Causes And Effective Natural Ways To Get Relief
The pain in hip joint is also very painful. There are many causes of hip joint pain. Some of the mos
- Complementary Alternative Medicine For Cfs- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
Have you or someone you are acquainted with been diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome? This condi
Most viewed articles in this category:
- Natural Remedy for Yeast Infection - Candida Albicans Symptom Help
For many people the cycle of yeast infection is complicated often by the use of antibiotics leads t
- The Eyes Are the Soul of the Body - Iridology is Not a New Science
Iridology is by no means a new science. It is often said that "The eyes are the key to a person's s
- Aromatherapy: Your Guide to Essential Oils for Healing (A-B) from Aches to Burns
ACHES & PAINS - Chamomile, Juniper, Lavender, Rosemary, Marjoram, Birch, Clary Sage, Clove, Geranium
- The Healing Benefits of Vegetable Oils and How you Can Use Them in Home Remedies
The healthiest oils are made of olives, flax seeds, walnuts and cedar nuts. Peanut oil and corn oil
- Boost your Immune System
The main function of the immune system is to protect the body against various infections. It is the
- Whipworm Infestation A Possible Crohns Disease Treatment?
There are many alternative treatments for Crohn's disease; aloe vera isn't the only remedy out there
- Natural Herbs - Power of Herbal Medicine
Natural herbs can be used to cure many health problems. Here are a few ways in which you too can imp
- Miracle Healer, John of God of Brazil
THOUSANDS OF PEOPLE from around the world diagnosed as terminal or incurable by modern medicine trav
- What is Nutritional Healing
Nutritional Healing is an established scientific approach aimed at balancing the needs of the human
- The Magic Power of Curative Garlic
Many hundreds of years ago people thought that garlic has the magic ability to cure illnesses and th