Creating an Eco-friendly Datacenter Cont'd
In the last post we focused on what a datacenter was and the reasons for trying to make it as eco-friendly as possible. We learned 5 tips in making your datacenter "greener." Today, we will continue with itmanagement.com's remaining steps to help you have the most environmentally friendly datacenter.
6. Use EnergyStar-rated appliances. Although the EPA hasn't yet released Energy Star standards for data servers, you can purchase other appliances, such as cooling systems, that do meet current standards. Keep an eye on the industry -- new star ratings are due for desktop computers in July, and the EPA may also enforce star ratings for data center appliances sometime in the next year.
7. Donate or recycle legacy servers. Archaic systems are less efficient than new ones, so you can save money by buying new systems and decommissioning old ones. However, because servers contain huge amount of toxic waste, never throw a machine in the trash. Many nonprofit or educational organizations can make use of old servers. There are also many vendors who handle computer equipment recycling, who can strip the machines of useful parts and properly dispose of the toxic remains.
8. Look outside the datacenter. Your company can cut costs outside its server rooms, for example by using earth-friendly construction materials such as low-emission carpets and paints and non-toxic insulation; creating skylights, windows and other natural lighting sources; and by landscaping with native and drought-tolerant plants that require less water consumption and support the local ecosystem.
9. Research alternative power sources. The best way to stay clean is to find alternative energy that works for you. Photovoltaic systems are popular -- solar panels on your roof are a simple step and will reduce your dependence on the power grid. Other options include wind energy, heat pumps, and evaporative cooling can lower your cost and significantly reduce your company's environmental footprint.
10. Get your management involved.
To fully embrace changes in the datacenter, you need to get the buy-in from your upper management. You can get them fired up about being an eco-friendly company by brainstorming earth-friendly ideas that will help everyone in the company, such as using hybrid or electric company vehicles or starting a commuter shuttle for your employees. Once they're interested, you can easily bring up the green question whenever you discuss the growth of your data center.
The Green Grid is a group of companies who are trying to do all they can to make their datacenters greener. The Green Grid is made up of company heads from AMD, APC, Dell, HP, IBM, Intel, Microsoft, Rackable Systems, SprayCool, Sun Microsystems, and VMware. According to The Green Grid website, they are "a global consortium dedicated to advancing energy efficiency in data centers and business computing ecosystems."
They are focused on "defining meaningful, user-centric models and metrics; developing standards, measurement methods, processes and new technologies to improve data center performance against the defined metrics; and promoting the adoption of energy efficient standards, processes, measurements and technologies."
Related Tags: solar, solar power, alternative energy, renewable energy, fuel cell, solar energy, wind power, hydro power, micro hydro, green energy, solar heating, fuel cells, hydro-electric, micro-hydro power, micro-hydro electricity, green wireless
David Tanguay is dedicated to providing research, reviews & helpful information to consumers and businesses. For more information related to Green Energy and Biofuels please visit http://greenenergyonline.orgYour Article Search Directory : Find in Articles
Recent articles in this category:
- Solar Power - A Sustainable Source Of Energy
Since time began, the sun was seen as a source of energy. Suprisingly only about 10% of solar energy
- Why Leopards Are Becoming Extinct
On the flooded marshlands of Mombo in the heart of the Okavango Delta, Botswana, there are fertile f
- The Different Kinds Of Bats
Most bats are found in warm places. Some are very strange: there are brightly colored, even spotted,
- How Bats Find Their Way In The Dark
People have always been puzzled by how bats see small insects in the dark, and how they avoid bumpin
- How Bats Live
Bats live together in caves or other dark places during the day. Just before dark, or before the sun
- At Home With Mr. Burroughs
Youth still peered out at me in spite of his crowning thatch of silvery hair when I first met John B
- Gas Fired Boiler Care Evaluation
Get Central Heating Cover And UnwindWhilst advanced heating boilers are reliable, at some point in t
- Environment Articles - India's strength and investments in Nuclear Energy Markets
Indian Nuclear Energy Markets Indian Nuclear Energy Market: An investment opportunity of US$55
- Environment Articles - Wind Energy is the fastest growing renewable energy sector in India
Wind Energy Markets in India India is likely to generate almost five times more wind energy cap
- Environment Articles - Ideas On Reusable Kids Lunch Boxes
If your kids are now in school, lunch boxes are what you need. Packing their lunch assures mothers a
Most viewed articles in this category:
- The Demand for Water and Water Privatisation
On TV recently you have Indian villagers complaining that coca cola had built a bottling plant in th
- Solar Powered Lights
All of our energy comes from the sun. Solar powered lights offer a low cost and do not pollute the e
- About Ethanol Distillation
Through the years, people have been used to oil price hikes, such that even when prices rise to a se
- Simple Mold Removal Wihtout Cleaning Mold
Are you fighting with black mold and it keeps coming back? Use the correct methods for mold cleaning
- The Business of Saving the Planet
On a sweltering day during the summer, I called my business partner Michael to ask why he thought it
- Global E-Waste Dumping - How Does It Occur?
When people "donate" or "recycle" electronics and computers, they do so with good intentions, and th
- Earth Friendly Composting
Earth Friendly Composting Municipalities throughout the United States require residents and busines
- A Unique Overview of Yellowstone National Park
When it comes to national parks, it is hard to imagine a more famous one than Yellowstone National P
- Save the Planet Article 2
This is the second article in a series that examines common house-hold products, how their manufactu
- Air Testing In The Uk Building Trade
Part L Building Regulations 2000, which came into effect on 6th April 2006, is one part of the Gover