Don't Get Caught Red-Handed-Feeling Defenseless at Chancellor Gorkoff's Dinner Table
I was recently watching an episode of Star Trek where Captain Kirk had invited the Klingons to Star Ship Enterprise for dinner to talk about enchantment in the Galaxy.
During dinner Captain Spock quoted a phrase from Hamlet toasting the future. Chancellor Gorkoff replied and one of the Klingon Commanders said something that was in Klingon. Needless to say, the Klingons laughed while Captain Kirk, Spock and Scottie stared without understanding a word they said.
Have you ever found yourself wondering if you're zigging and they're zagging when speaking to a person from a different generation? Roughly every 20 years a generation is formed.
During this time, a group of people experience life based on what has happened in the past and forming what they want for the future.
They inherit certain character traits, attitudes and perspectives from experiences. An analogy would be technology. We went from typing to computers, cell phones to hand held PDA's because we want more information faster and NOW!
Information is available quicker and we're still not satisfied.
In fact, just yesterday I upgraded my internet speed from high to extreme because high just wasn't cutting it anymore. I'm a Baby Boomer operating as a Millennial. Do you feel the same way?
The Generation Types - Who knew We Were All So Strange?
Traditionalists (Stabilizing) Birthdate- 1900-1945 Baby Boomers (transformation) 1946-1964Generation Xers (entrepreneurial) 1965-1981 Millennial (technology storm) 1982-2000
Jlyajbe' (I don't understand)
All generation types have different character traits. To communicate with them is to understand these aliens.
Traditionalists - focuses on standards and norm. Needs stabilityBaby Boomers - "You can do anything" mindset Generation Xers - resourceful, technically and business savvy. Moves on quickly to the next thing Millennial - technologically advanced. Quick, counterintuitive learning. Don't like rules and self expression is extremely important!
Stop The Insanity! Understand Communication Styles And Speak Their Language.
I was in a seminar recently and the instructor wouldn't allow us to take any notes.
I learn by needing to see and hear things. I did my best to hear what he was saying but it wasn't until he gave an example by "showing" and "telling" how it was done that cemented it in my mind. We all have different learning styles and if we're not using our primary style, it may be a bit of a challenge. To help you with understanding yourself and others, check to see how you learn.
Understanding Four Communication Styles - knowing how you are, how you relate, identify what communication language of the other person and shift to mutual understanding.
Communication Styles and Questions That Engage Each Style:
Visual- Sees a thought as a picture
- Do you see what I mean?
-Are you getting the picture?
- How does this look so far?Auditory- Hears a thought as a sound or word - Does this sound OK? Tell me…
- Is this clicking with you?- How can this be improved?Kinesthetic- Feels a thought by sensation
- How does this feel?
- What have you learned from this?- Getting a handle on this?Auditory-Digital- Senses a thought as a knowing
- Is this making sense?
- What did you think about that?- Can you figure this out for me?Shed Your Klingon Communication Techniques Listen to the other person's language, use their communication style and you can now speak the same language= mutual understanding - RESULTS! I know it's hard when you and another person are not connecting.The odds are - you are just in another galaxy in terms of communication styles. The great news? You can easily fix it!
I challenge you to "listen" to your customers and understand their generation traits before speaking. Know which Planet your customer is coming from!
Nanoo - Nanoo!
Related Tags: communication, language, style, customers, techniques, generation, primary, character traits, helloworld, vm
Joyce Ingram, provides tips for small business owners and entrepreneurs with VM Direct Technology, helloWorld. Joyce works with clients, showing them the super secrets to success on-line! Sign up for her FREE e-zine and download the Four Communication Styles Chart. (Source: Linda Storey, Certified Master NLP Practitioner and Certified NLP Counselor. http://www.linderellacoaching.com. Contact Joyce Ingram by visiting http://www.vmdirect.com/usimplyconnectYour Article Search Directory : Find in Articles
Recent articles in this category:
- Chip Resetter
Some printer manufacturers, such as Canon, HP, Epson and Lexmark, put a chip into their inkjet or to
- Services, Benefits And Selection Of Conference Call Provider
If you are seriously seeking for a conference call provider then be very careful in selecting the mo
- Making The Most Out Of Your Chosen Business Phone Service Provider
In the United States, many cheap business phone services are available, as well as the services of i
- Essential Buyers Guide For The Iphone 4
Released in the UK on the 24th June 2010, the iPhone 4 is considered by many to be the latest must-h
- Various Business Phone Service Provider Choices
Communicate with your trading partners and a customer with the most productive way that does not eve
- Conference Calling Companies - What Should You Really Look For In Conference Calling Companies.
First, let us first determine exactly what a conference call is.A conference call is really a phone
- Sim Free Mobile Phone- Freedom From Any Kind Of Sim Free Phones.
SIM free mobile phone is the most popular mobile phones as it is with various offers and plan like t
- Professional Yet Cheap Cell Phone Service Through Internet
Today, the demand and needs of commercial business has changed drastically. Now, the business patron
- New Cellphones - High Tech Mobile Phones With Wonderful Features
New cellphones have become the essential widgets for communication and enjoyment. Gone are the days
- Using Your Smartphone As Wi-fi
Using your cell phone to provide Wi-Fi to your laptop or iPad has now become an everyday occurrence.
Most viewed articles in this category:
- LG U830: Flavor of Chocolate, Power of 3G
Taking cues from the award winning design of the LG Chocolate, the latest offering, the LG U830 is
- T-mobile: Bringing World 'simply Closer'
A proud member of one of the world's largest mobile companies, T-mobile is the UK network of T-mobil
- Dishnetwork Is Better Than Other Television Service Providers
With over 12 million subscribers and a ranking of number one in customer satisfaction from JD Power
- Sony Ericsson W850i: Complete Musical Package
To remain competitive in the market and to add novelty in its Walkman series Sony Ericsson has broug
- Se K800i: an Excellent Camera Phone
Sony Ericsson's K800i is the first handset that comes with Cyber-shot brand and gives a true picture
- Dish Network Offers A Variety Of Programming Packages
Dish Network offers a variety of programming packages for everyone's wants, needs, and budgets. Even
- The Power of Influence
Years ago, the Carnegie Institute of Technology analyzed the records of ten thousand people and conc
- Choosing A Web Hosting Provider By Their Customer Service
When choosing a web-hosting provider, there will be tons of questions you need answered before settl
- Shield your Family With Reverse Cell Phone Number Search
Free reverse cell phone number searches is a great method that can help you in making certain that y
- Sony Ericsson K610i: a Delight for Shutterbugs
Over the years camera phones have evolved. From being an add-on into the mobile phone, it has now be