Sobriety and Abstinence - 2 Distinctly Different Terms in Drug and Alcohol Recovery
Becoming abstinent and entering recovery or sobriety aer two distinct processes.
Entering and growing in recovery or working on sobriety is much different than abstinence, simply stopping the use of drugs and alcohol. Becoming sober is a process, not an event. Some people enter treatment, complete it and believe they are done; that is no so.
Achieving sobriety and growing in recovery is a progressive, developmental process. There are phases of recovery which are moved through, each with its unique tasks, lessons and skills to be acquired. The first building block of sobriety, the cornerstone in fact, is achieving abstinence. Here is what is meant by abstinence:
Becoming abstinent, stopping the use of all mood altering drugs, is the necessary first task that must be accomplished in working toward a life in recovery. However, it is not by itself sobriety. It is like paying the admission fee at the amusement park, not the attractions themselves. Abstinence is an all or nothing proposition, either you have quit absolutely, or not. To enter into sobriety requires total abstinenceof all mood altering substances. This is the first building block of sobriety.
Sobriety can be described as living a full, rewarding and meaningful life without the need for drugs and/or alcohol and without their use. There is movement from a life of dependence, destruction, and being unfulfilled to one of emotional, physical and spiritual health. Sobriety can be described as a way of life that involves healthy relationships, communication, and personal growth. Entering recovery is about learning and refining a new set of sober living skills.
Underlying fundamental beliefs of sobriety.
There are some fundamental principles that most would agree need to be identified, processed and accepted, in order to form a firm foundation in recovery. Here they are:
1. Sobriety is a process, not an event; in fact, it is a lifelong process that is not easy but definitely possible.
2. One is never at a standstill; you are either moving away from a drink or drug or closer, your actions determine your direction.
3. Complete abstinence + growth in recovery = sobriety
4. Sobriety is a pro-active program. A thought is just a thought, nothing happens unless you take action. Simple intellectual acceptance is not enough.
5. There are underlying principles of recovery that must be learned, the first is rigorous personal honesty and integrity.
This is only the briefest of introductions, there is much more to be learned.
Source: Free Articles from ArticlesFactory.com
Related Tags: recovery, in, alcohol, terms, drug, and, 2, different, sobriety, abstinence, -, distinctly
And now I would like to invite you to access our complete gallery of resources on alcohol and addiction recovery at our Authority Site. You may also claim our Free, massive Addictionn Recovery Help Guide. To gain instant access, visit us at: http://addictionrecoverybasics.com/ Your Article Search Directory : Find in Articles
Recent articles in this category:
- Dental Insurance For Individual Can Be Of Help At Time
Dental problem may cost one a lot of money and pain. But, practicing a reasonable care could decreas
- Personal Trainer For Perfect Health
There is a general misconception that need for a fitness trainer comes for novice or from those who
- Varicose Veins - Causes, Symptoms, Treatment
The majority of people after thirty notice the changes that appear with the maturing. In this case t
- Scenar Therapy - Self-treatment Or Healing Partnership
Do you want to learn about a device which will help you to ease your pain? If you get this kind of a
- Scenar - 5 "no, Nos" Of Scenar
Are you fed up with the pain in your body? Various parts of our body seem to ache due to different r
- Scenar Device - 5 Tips On Travelling With Your Scenar (skenar) Device
You might be aware of scenar which has become quite popular these days. This is actually the acronym
- Scenar Therapy - How To Treat Your Pet With Scenar
There are many alternative methods of treatment that are being invented these days. Lots of people a
- Your Options For The Treatment For Appendicitis
Appendicitis is considered to be a surgical illness. Due to its severe character, the treatment for
- How To Choose The Right Copd Medication
Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease or COPD does not have any cure. But with the help of medicines
- Septic Arthritis: Infectious Agents Penetrate Joints' Spaces
Another major type of arthritis is septic arthritis, which is also known in various terms like: pyog
Most viewed articles in this category:
- Drugs - the Last Alternative for Adhd in Kids
Anyone over the age of thirty who has grown up with ADHD understands that there was not much help av
- Foods To Eat To Gain Weight
Malnutrition has the same degree of problem as obesity. There are people who are too skinny, they fi
- Understanding Postpartum Clothing
The same way most pregnant women dream of the day when they will begin showing for wearing maternity
- Kegel Exercising for Bladder Control and Enhanced Sexual Pleasure
Kegel exercises strengthen the muscles of the pelvic floor, thereby improving the urethra and/or rec
- The Use Of Weight Loss Herbs
Nothing has garnered more attention in today's world than the success or failures of weight loss pro
- A Simple Acid Relux Cure
Many people today are afflicted with heartburn. If they eat food that is too spicy, they get heartbu
- Five Effective Household Back Pain Treatments
Back pain treatment comes in lots of forms, from exercise to pain mediction. Standard and most wides
- Herbal Remedies - Can They Cure What Ails You?
You've probably heard about herbal remedies before and how they can treat a variety of health proble
- Natural Relief for Tinnitus - What are your Choices
Natural Relief For Tinnitus - Alternative Options Did you know that there are an estimated 50 t
- Birthing Around the World
Since ancestral times, different cultures showed off different customs and beliefs around the miracl