Five Criteria For Choosing Your Plastic Surgeon & Surgery Facility
Of course, you have a of help in making these assessments, although you should do as much personal investigating as possible, including doctor consultations and visits to the outpatient surgery centers you are considering. Although there are numerous factors to consider, the following five criteria will help make your decision a bit easier, and steer you in the right direction for other information.
1. As previously stated, when choosing a plastic surgeon there are a number of factors to be considered, but medical training and surgical experience are still the first qualifications you want to establish. The first step is to interview the surgeons. Don't be afraid to ask questions about where they went to school, where they did their internships and residencies, etc. If you want to look into a doctor's credentials a bit further, and find out about any past or pending malpractice judgments and/or disciplinary actions, just call, visit or log on to the Web site of your state's medical association.
2. Although there is no one factor that can guarantee your getting the best doctor for the procedure you want, board certification is usually an indication that surgeons are involved in ongoing education in their specialties. Not all societies or boards are the same, so you will need to research these as well. There are three major boards related to plastic surgery:
a. The American Board of Plastic Surgery (ABPS) certifies doctors in plastic surgery on the entire body. These surgeons have the highest levels of training, as well as the highest standards of certification for plastic surgery done anywhere on the body, including breast augmentation, reconstructive surgery and facelifts.
b. The American Board of Facial Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery (ABFPRS) restricts its certification to doctors performing facial plastic/reconstructive and cosmetic surgery. The board certifies that the doctors are expert in procedures specifically involving the head, face and neck.
c. The American Board of Otolaryngology (ABO) provides certification to surgeons specializing in otolaryngology, meaning conditions and diseases of the eyes, ears, nose, throat, head and neck.
For any questions about a doctor's board certification, you should visit the Web site of the American Board of Medical Specialties at www.abms.org. This group has 24 different boards as members, which offer doctors certification in almost 90 different special practices.
3. Each doctor's individual practice should be looked at carefully. You should ask to speak with former patients, ask about any recent negative outcomes, talk to the medical staff and check out the doctor's business ethics record with the Chamber of Commerce or Better Business Bureau. Also keep the doctor's actual patient pool in mind. If you discover that the doctor performs primarily cosmetic procedures or laser hair removal, you may wish to extend your search if you are contemplating eye surgery or a complex reconstruction of some kind.
4. Some plastic surgeries are performed in a hospital, but more and more often they are performed in a surgeon's office, surgical center or other facility. Any facility other than a hospital at which surgery takes place has to maintain quality standards set by the American Association for Accreditation of Ambulatory Surgery Facilities (AAAASF). You can confirm that a particular facility is accredited with a quick visit to the Surgery Facilities section of the AAAAS Web page.
5. Because hospital privileges require that a physician's ability be reviewed by his peers, it is essential that you ask the doctor about his standing at local and regional hospitals. You can also contact these hospitals directly, and ask about the doctor's privileges, as well as what procedures those privileges cover.
Related Tags: cosmetic surgery, laser hair removal, cosmetic procedures, cosmetic laser surgery
A doctor could have privileges for cosmetic procedures but not be certified to use the laser equipment, or the other way around. Make sure you find out what the hospital considers the doctor's strengths, as well as any weaknesses.
In the final analysis, it is up to you to determine which doctor is best suited to help you achieve you unique goals and expectations. With the growing popularity of laser hair removal, LASIK eye surgery and other outpatient surgery, it is fairly easy (and financially tempting) for doctors to look and sound like "qualified plastic surgeons." It is no less than a matter of your continued good health that you learn about a doctor's education, experience, ongoing training, patient outcomes, board certification and standing among his colleagues. A good place to start finding qualified providers for cosmetic surgery is through a search on a site like http://www.docshop.com.Your Article Search Directory : Find in Articles
Recent articles in this category:
- Collagen Vs. Aging: Which One You Like?
For some people, growing old does not only mean wisdom and experience, but also wrinkles and lines o
- Can Hgh Supplements Make You Younger?
Medical science has discovered several reasons why people grow older and then die and two of the mai
- Shopping For a Natural Skin Cream?
You really need to be sure that the natural skin cream you are thinking of purchasing truly contains
- How To Look Younger When You Are Getting Older
As well as the natural affects of aging, skin is constantly exposed to weather damage, pollution and
- Tips For Your Anti-Aging Needs
Smoking and drinking became part of a great number of individuals lifestyle nowadays. For decades, m
- Three Anti Aging Skin Care Steps to Your Most Youthful and Beautiful Facial Complexion
As time marches on, you can begin to see the effects of aging on your facial skin. Your most youthfu
- 2 Simple Questions to Ask About the Best Wrinkle Remover
You won't find the best wrinkle remover on sale here at this website. But, if you read this article,
- A Unique Wrinkle Cream Comparison
Here's a wrinkle cream comparison that's unique. Most reviewers compare brand names based on arbitra
- Easy Tips to Preserve Your Youthful Look-Why Beauty Isn't Always Skin Deep
When you were young, you couldn't wait to get old. Now that you're getting old, you want to stay you
- Is Solar Genesis Effective?
Before trying to figure out whether solar genesis would work, let's try to understand what solar gen
Most viewed articles in this category:
- Anti-Aging FAQ: Skin Care And Anti-Aging
* Can diet and exercise prevent wrinkles? Yes! Besides overexposure to sun, unhealthy habits like e
- Antiaging Skin Care Tips
It's a fact of life, no matter how much we try to deny it - as we get older, our body ages. It cann
- How Much Do You Know About Aging And Long-term Care Insurance?
While aging individuals aren't the only people who find themselves in need of long-term care, indivi
- Searching for the Ultimate Antiaging Skincare Product
It may seem unbelievable but in my search for the secret to the best antiaging skincare product, I f
- Alternative To Botox
However, you will want to make yourself as knowledgeable on each Botox alternative as you can, so th
- Baby Boomer, Babies No More
All you can hear are voices, and everything seems to be going too fast. You slowly see a bright ligh
- Toward Berry Good Aging
As Canadians live longer and pay more attention to diet and healthy lifestyles, those in middle to u
- Stop Wrinkles - Wear Your Frownies
A while back I was standing in a store checkout line waiting my turn when I spotted a magazine featu
- The Anti-Aging Diet
As we age, we are faced with a reduced metabolism, memory loss, wrinkles, increased risk for chronic
- Is Anti-Aging Action In Red Wine And Resveratrol Real?
Results of various studies have indicated that daily consumption of three to five glasses of red win