How You Should Use Net Present Value (NPV) to Evaluate Investment Real Estate
Net present value is the present value of all future cash flows produced by a rental property less the amount of initial cash investment required to purchase the investment property.
Net present value (NPV) considers the time value of money and therefore is a popular real estate investing rate of return. Let's say you require a 10% yield (rate of return) on your investment. Net present value (with consideration for the timing) reveals whether the cash flow produced by that property would give you a 10% rate of return.
How it Works
Let's say that you require a 10% rate of return. This percentage then becomes the rate at which future cash flows are "discounted". Moreover, you plan to invest $100,000. This is also known as initial investment and represents the down payment plus closing costs. Next, you estimate what the annual cash flows will be over the next (let's say five) years. Finally, you estimate your proceeds from a sale of the investment property in the (let's say fifth) year. Since the money you collect upon a sale is considered income, it's added to the cash flow derived in that same year.
Here's how it looks:
Discount Rate: 10.0%
Initial Investment: $100,000
Cash Flow # 1 [estimated first year cash flow]
Cash Flow # 2 [estimated second year cash flow]
Cash Flow # 3 [estimated third year cash flow]
Cash Flow # 4 [estimated fourth year cash flow]
Cash Flow # 5 [estimated fifth year cash flow] + [sale proceeds]
How to Calculate
Okay, now to arrive at a net present value we must do the following.
1. Discount all forecasted future cash flows at 10% to arrive at their present value (PV), remembering to add the forecasted sales proceeds to the cash flow in the final year. Let's say the present value for all five cash flows plus sale proceeds is $100,000.
2. Deduct the $100,000 initial investment from the $100,000 PV to determine the NPV. In this case, NPV would equal zero.
What it Means
Net present value is a dollar amount (not a percentage rate) and will always result in one of the following amounts.
1. Greater than zero - this means that the discounted value of the future cash flows is greater than the initial investment and thus you're getting a higher rate of return than you desired
2. Equal to zero - this means that the discounted value of the future cash flows is exactly equal to your initial investment and thus you're getting the return you desired exactly
3. Less than zero - this means that the discounted value of the future cash flows is less than the initial investment and thus you're getting a lower rate of return than you desired
As stated earlier, net present value is commonly used in real estate investing by investors and analysts to evaluate investment real estate opportunities. It should not be used as the only factor to decide whether a rental property provides a good buying opportunity, but NPV does offer the investor a quick and easy way to determine whether a property might yield the investor's desired rate of return.
You can make your own computations for net present value on Excel, with some real estate investment software programs, or with the help of a real estate professional who understands real estate investing.
Source: Free Articles from ArticlesFactory.com
Related Tags: investment, value, estate, how, to, you, real, net, present, use, should, evaluate, npv
James Kobzeff is the developer of the popular real estate investment software called ProAPOD. Discover how you can create rental property cash flow analysis presentations in minutes at http://www.proapod.com Your Article Search Directory : Find in Articles
Recent articles in this category:
- The Secrets to Getting Low Down Payment Car Insurance
Upon purchase of a new car, there is almost always a requirement to buy an auto insurance policy as
- The Wisdom Behind Auto Insurance Comparison Quotes
No one in his right mind would not go for a good deal. In fact, everyone is out on their feet and ru
- The Benefits of Auto Insurance Comparisons Florida
Insurance can be expensive. This is something everyone knows about especially in the sunny state of
- Auto Insurance Florida: The No-Fault Policy
There are different kinds of car insurance offered by a wide range of providers today. Different sta
- Finding the Cheapest Auto Insurance Companies
Everyone is asking and searching for the cheapest auto insurance companies available today. Consider
- How do You Compare Private Health Insurance Cover in Australia?
Deciding what is the best and most affordable private health insurance cover can be easy if you take
- How Payment Protection Insurance Was Mis-Sold
For over six years the issue of Payment Protection Insurance (PPI) and how it was mis-sold to custom
- Finding Quotes For Auto Insurance Online
One of the many concerns when you are shopping for auto insurance is being able to get access to quo
- How You Can Find the Best Auto Insurance Online
When it comes to renewing your car insurance you are going to quickly discover that there are a numb
- Guidelines For Searching For Auto Insurance Online
The internet can be a great source of discounts and values related to auto insurance. However, many
Most viewed articles in this category:
- Trading Forex With Pivot Points
Forex Pivot Point Trading are used today by Forex Traders and are calculated on the previous days mo
- Where To Search For Free Grants
Where do you look for free grants? The search must be thorough or it could be an exercise in futilit
- The Connection Between High Blood Pressure and Salt
We are a society of Salt Addicts. It cannot be denied. When you look at the things we do and the pla
- Tips For Avoiding HYIP Scams
Before knowing about HYIP Scams, refer to the functioning of HYIP or "High Yield Investment Programs
- Getting Credit After Bankruptcy
Consumers do not have to live sans credit following a bankruptcy. By following certain steps consume
- Tips For Choosing A Credit Card
Are you looking for that perfect credit card? If so, you may be confused about what exactly to look
- Cheap Car Insurance For Teens Online
Many elements determine a car insurance policy. Car insurance companies look at the person's age, hi
- What Exactly Is Free Grant Money?
You can apply for free grant money from various government agencies. But where exactly does this mon
- Small Business Owners Marketing and Customer Service
Marketing can be time-consuming, but it doesn't have to be hugely expensive now, thanks to the Inter
- Apply Online For A Credit Card - How To Choose A Card?
The best type of credit card for you will be dependant on how you intend to use the credit card. Are