The High Pressure Steam Engine - Not Invented By James Watt
I suppose his school report would have read something to the effect of, "could try harder". His father did not think highly of his only son and referred to him as a loafer. Richard was more interested in the mechanical engines that were used in the mines that surrounded Redruth, than in his schooling.
He spent a lot of his younger days wandering from mine to mine looking at how they worked; this is how he stared to get interested in the mechanical workings of the mines.
Richards other asset was, bare-knuckle fighting - this allowed him to earn some money and follow his interest in anything mechanical. Trevithick's father seeing that his son was interested in machinery and anything mechanical obtained an apprenticeship with William Murdock, who worked for James Watt. At this time William Murdock managed the factory that built pumping engines for Cornwall and this is where it is believed he learnt his skills.
Richard's dream was to design an engine that worked on high-pressure steam; James Watt had always refused to use high-pressure steam because of the dangers of boilers exploding. In the early 1800's Richard overcame the engineering difficulties and developed the high pressure steam engine using compression to drive the engine. Watt was still convinced that Trevithick's high-pressure steam engine posed a serious problem of explosions and was left behind for a time in the industrial revolution. To those who do not know it was Richard Trevithick and not James Watt who invented high-pressure steam engine.
Related Tags: history, inventions, steam, inventor, james watt, steam engine
Discuss issues and add opinions at the worlds best home pageYour Article Search Directory : Find in Articles
Recent articles in this category:
- Radio Controllers - Knowing The Basics
Radio controlled models are different in design and structure, but at their core are the same radio
- The Fourth Decade Of Modern Stereology 1991-2001
Modern stereology introduced an entirely new set of rules for quantification of biological objects i
- Science & Technology Articles - How to buy Wireless IP security cameras
Due to the increasing need for surveillance devices, camera's production become more increasingly. I
- Science & Technology Articles - Sony Ericsson Hottest Phones
One of the best phones created by Sony Ericsson, is the G502 phone. Sony has established that phones
- Entertainment Articles - It's What Is Behind The Scenes That Make Your Movie Viewing Pleasurable
Is there anything that can make or break your entertainment system at home and is something that no
- Current Affairs Articles - 2012 Facts
Making sense How can we make sense of this? Each different theory or combination of theories will m
- Science & Technology Articles - High-density PCIe Telephony Cards from Telesoft Technologies
With well over two decades of experience in the networking and media fields, Telesoft Technologies i
- Science & Technology Articles - IVR Servers from Telesoft Technologies
The interactive voice response server (IVR Server) solution is perhaps one of the most important rec
- Education Articles - Old Teachers Learning New Technological Tricks
As technology and teaching methods have progressed, many classrooms have found themselves brighten
- Business Articles - A Guide To Streamlining Office Technology
Any modern office will likely have the following core contents: desks, chairs, networked computers
Most viewed articles in this category:
- The Bat in Bible and Quran
One of the inherited doctrines of mankind is that the Quran is quoted or borrowed from the Bible.The
- The Rabbit in Bible and Quran
The Bible says that the Rabbit is a ruminant animal while the sciences say that the Rabbit is not a
- The Semen in Bible and Quran
One of the expanded dogmas of mankind is that the Quran is quoted or borrowed from the Bible. This c
- The Iron in Bible and Quran
Before dealing with the topic of the Iron in Quran versus Bible versus sciences, it is essential to
- More and More, Scientists Recognize That Foods Can Heal
Folk remedies that used to be written off as old wives' tales are now being acknowledged by scientis
- Streamlining the Management of Print Spooler Output in an Oracle Applications Environment
The customer associated with this case study is a large, multi-national manufacturer of product
- Manapol: Why Should I Use It?
Manapol® Why Should I Use It? "Upon entry to the cells, mannans can activate the ma
- The Sleep in Bible and Quran
Before dealing with the topic of the Fly in Quran versus Bible versus sciences, it is essential to r
- What Types of Sharks Lived Millions of Years Ago?
The first cartilaginous sharks appeared 370 millions years ago. Their size, their appearance and the
- How are Cinematography and Memorabilia Related to Sharks?
Sharks have influenced both cinematography and its memorabilia through the years. From Jaws the movi