Yoga: Three Reasons You Should Not Do Yoga Posture - Side Plank
This posture is dedicated to the sage Vasistha. In a Sanskrit language 'Vasistha' means 'Most Excellent Sage' and is the name of a sage in the yoga tradition.
The Side Plank is also called the One Arm Balance posture as it involves balancing on one arm and the side of one foot. To keep the posture balanced the torso and legs must be aligned at a 45-degree angle with the floor.
The full version of the Side Plank posture, where the top leg is raised perpendicular to the floor is very difficult for most beginners. The modified version with both legs kept together is suitable for all levels of students.
The Side Plank is a very powerful arm and wrist strengthener. Regular practice of this posture makes the leg muscles supple. It strengthens the shoulders, abdominal muscles, buttocks and tones the lower back. The back of the legs become stretched.
The Side Plank posture improves nervous balance and builds focus and concentration. By the practice of this posture stamina, determination and will-power are enhanced.
The Side Plank is a quite powerful and strengthening posture with lots of benefits to a practitioner. However, in some health conditions this posture is not recommended.
Three important reasons not to do the Side Plank:
1) If you have injured your wrist do not practice this posture, until healed and discussed with your doctor.
2) In case of chronic or recent arm or shoulder injury avoid this posture.
3) If your ankle was injured do not attempt this posture.
Caution: Always check with your doctor if you have any doubts or concerns regarding the suitability of this posture for you. It is best to perform this yoga posture in presence of a qualified yoga teacher.
Issued in the interest of people practicing Hatha Yoga by Subodh Gupta, Yoga Expert based in London.
Related Tags: yoga, side plank posture, subodh gupta, vasisthasana
Mr.Subodh Gupta, a Corporate Yoga Trainer has conducted more than 500 workshops on Yoga and Stress Management. He has been interviewed by various TV channels in India and London.
For reaching to Subodh Gupta Yoga website http://www.subodhgupta.com and for Subodh Gupta Corporate yoga webpage http://www.subodhgupta.com/corporateyoga.htmlYour Article Search Directory : Find in Articles
Recent articles in this category:
- Pranayama-experiencing The Subtle Body
While throwing light on the importance of Pranayama (Yogic breathing exercise) Swami Vivekananda tol
- How To Find The Right Divorce Lawyer In Philadelphia
Several couples in Philadelphia who want to file for a divorce often feel ambivalent with regard to
- Some Tips On How To Get Your Home Office Interior Design Right
The Internet has given rise to a number of new concepts though the home office is certainly one of t
- Lipo 6 Fat Burner - Review And Things You Ought To Know Before You Purchase Lipo 6
In case you've been seeking to reduce weight and sought after a weight loss product, you can also he
- Nutrex Lipo 6 - What Is Nutrex Lipo 6 And How Can It Assist You Lose Weight?
What's The Historical past Of Lipo 6?Lipo 6, from Nutrex, is a vitamin tablet which was once launche
- Yoga For Better Sex Life - Improve Your Sexual Life Through Yoga
Yoga techniques are products of the Asian continent, having been explored and exported to the west f
- Yoga Will Help You Manage With The Daily Stresses Of Life.
Forty or Fifty years back, a many of people still didn't know the difference between Yoga and Yogurt
- Finding Out About Pilates Yoga Exercise
For those that are searching for a unique exercise program, pilates or yoga exercise may be exactly
- Know More About Yoga Position & Benefits
The classical techniques of Yoga date back more than 5,000 years. In ancient times, the desire for g
- Online Yoga For Kids - Make Them Strong
In this competitive world, it is not good to instigate the spread of competition among kids. The mai
Most viewed articles in this category:
- Sacred Message of our Revered Preceptor Shriram Sharma Acharya
In the profound silence of our psyche echoes the subtle voice of our revered preceptor. "Oh, I am al
- Give Yourself A Boost At Work With These Simple, Refreshing Tips
Continued concentration over long periods required in the modern workplace can be demanding on your
- The Benefits of Yoga for Children
Various trends and fads have come and gone with fitness and exercise which makes it very easy to be
- Aquaexercise for All
Experts in fitness aren't surprised about the health benefits of water exercise and many individuals
- Selecting the Best Sticky Yoga Mat
You'll probably be very pleased with your choice if you have decided to take up yoga. Your strength
- Hatha Yoga for Stress Management: Creating Your New Year Yoga Plan
Are you ready to make a life changing resolution? What is a daily Yoga plan? How can a daily Yoga
- Spice Up the Winter Doldrums With a New Yoga Program and Watch the Pounds Come Off
It is always so much fun to watch people scurrying about at the beginning of the year, busily settin
- Kundalini Activation and Gayatri Worship
According to Indian Mythology, Brahmaji (creator) had 2 wives. The first was Gayatri and the second
- How Effective are Online Classes to Teach Yoga?
After my interest was sparked a while back in regards to becoming an actual Yoga Instructor (or at l
- Yoga and Knee Pain Solution
Every year, about 11 million Americans complain to doctors about knee pain. Roughly 21 million Ameri