Learn Some Basic Fly Fishing Knots
There are many different types of fly fishing knots, but to begin with you only need to learn and become proficient with a few. Many of the more common knots are fairly easy to master, so you should probably start with those first. They are known as fly fishing basic knots, and include the cinch knot, the arbor knot, the nail knot, the surgeons knot, and the Albright knot. If you have a friend or are acquainted with someone who already spends a lot of time fly fishing, they may be willing to help you learn how to do these basic knots. If not, you can find out the basics online, or maybe even in your local public library or bookstore.
Each of the above mentioned knots has a different fly fishing purpose, so along with learning how to actually tie the knots, you will also need to know when to use them as well. All of the knots may take some time and practice to learn, but if you keep working with them, you will eventually get the hang of it.
Once you learn the basic fly fishing knots, you should make certain that before you start fishing, you test them out to make certain they are sturdy. You don't want to lose a great catch because of a faulty knot that is for sure! The best way to test your knots is to pour a small amount of water over them, and then pull on the lines to make sure the knots hold. No matter how proficient you become at tying knots and fly fishing, if you forget to test your knots, sooner or later you will lose a catch.
When fly fishing, you should also learn to properly care for your equipment, as it can be expensive to replace. It will eventually succumb to wear and tear no matter what you do, and you should inspect it on a regular basis, to look for just those signs. If you don't have the proper fly fishing equipment, or if it is poor condition, you will have a difficult time catching anything, no matter how great you are at tying fly fishing knots!
Related Tags: fishing, fly fishing, fisherman, fly fishing knots
Find in Articles
Recent articles in this category:
- Fishing Tackle Review: Greys Sea Spin Lure Fishing Rod
Since I am an avid lure angler, I'm always looking for new gear. My tackle box is full of equipment
- Five Essential Fly Fishing Tips To Help You Catch More Trout
Fly fishing is one of the most preferred freshwater fishing methods, and it is especially effective
- Coarse Fishing Tackle: Daiwa Exceler 3500 Reel Review
Hi, It's me again. Being that you are a coarse fisher means you need to be effectively ready for a w
- Free Advertising For Fishing Vacations And Discount Vacations
Do you own a fishing or outdoor related business? How about a travel site offering discount vacation
- Trout Fishing Secrets: What Trout Don't Want You To Know
It's no secret that trout fishing is one of America's favorite leisure sports because of the trout's
- Catching Trophy Bass - Tips For Hauling In The Biggest Bass
Techniques for catching trophy bass will vary according to the season. Bass migrate like crappie, bu
- The Truth About Trout Fishing Flies
One of the best (and most exciting) ways to catch trout is the fly fishing technique. Contrary to po
- Trout Fishing Lures - Can You Ever Have Enough?
Have you ever been to a sporting goods store with a large fishing section? The selection of fishing
- Fishing For The Magnificent Brook Trout
The Beautiful TroutNot only are Brook trout considered the most beautiful in the trout clan, they ar
- Right Trolling Motor Mount For A Complete Fishing Experience
Imagine a fishing day when you could not catch a fish just because of the wrong trolling motor mount
Most viewed articles in this category:
- How To Make Your Own Custom Fly Leaders
A properly designed and well-made fly leader serves as a vital connection between the fly line and t
- Do You Want To Catch More Fish? Then You Must Read This Article
There are some simple steps that you, the angler, can take in order to increase the amount of fish t
- Homemade Boilies - Making Baits With Predigested Protein Ingredients
Predigested ingredients in dough / paste baits 'ground baits' and boilies are awesome!When used as m
- Ketchikan Fishing For Cruise Ship Passengers
Ketchikan is located in Southeast Alaska on Revillagegedo Island. Revilla is accessible only by a
- Ultralight Fishing - The Most Enjoyable and Effective Way To Catch Fish
There are far too many anglers among us who believe that the most effective way to catch a fish is t
- Carrying Live Worms While Fishing?...Problem Solved
Anyone who spends any time fishing with live worms deals with the problem of carrying that silly lit
- Essential Expert Tips for Making Your Homemad Carp Baits and Catfish Baits!
How to creating a 'dry powder base mix' and how to mix this with other ingredients successfully:The
- Making Homemade Fishing Baits -- Skyrocket Your Catches With This Powerful Information
Have you ever wondered why one guy seems to catch the biggest fish again and again, while the major
- Fishing Northern Large Mouth Bass in Big Bear Lake
The Northern strain Bass only have time during the year to grow inches compared to the Florida strai
- Winter Ice Makes Fishing Fun
With winter quickly approaching, people who live in some of the colder regions of the country are pr