Baby Boomers and Family Holiday Stress
Is the commercialism of the holidays getting you down? How would you like to spend less time racking up credit card debt and more time putting heart into your relationships? It's important to appreciate the tradition of giving and receiving. But the accumulation of stuff can't hold a candle to the gift that matters most. This year, recreate the joy of simpler days by giving the gift of connection to your family.
There's a lot riding on family time during the holidays and this can create stress for everyone. With blended families, there's the challenge of logistics, trying to accommodate the needs of so many others and still not compromise your own. And when family members live in different cities, it's hard to determine which is more difficult - going back home or having them on your turf. Of course, there are all the memories of holidays past coupled with the expectations of today - sometimes unrealistic and often left unfulfilled.
So, how can you get off the couch and into the action? The following eight tips will help as you develop a plan to restore balance to your relationships during the holidays:
1. Realize that what you are experiencing is normal and stress is common for a lot of families at this time of year.
2. If you're traveling home, remember to pack your patience. Internalized memories or old family dynamics are bound to surface. Unfinished business, like sibling rivalry and the need for undivided attention, is baggage that is often too large to fit in the overhead compartment. So make a decision this year to leave it behind.
3. Explore the possibility of the out of town guests staying in a hotel. It might be a relief for all of you, and the beginning of a new family tradition.
4. If Aunt Sue doesn't get along with your uncle's second wife, make it easier on yourself and stagger their visits.
5. If you get into a conflict with a family member who is unreasonable, don't take the bait. Despite how hard it may be, go for the higher ground and walk away.
6. With a relationship that matters to you, take the time to bury the hatchet. If in the past you have gone underground and then blown up later, don't let these feelings fester. Acknowledge the part that you play and deal with it now, once and for all.
7. Whether family members are with you in person or in your memories, learn the power of letting go of childhood pain and longings. Forgiveness becomes a gift for both of you.
8. Recall what you love about your family and let them know how grateful you are to have them in your life. Try to focus on their positives rather than the negatives.
You may not have many models of repairing the family and may have to make it up as you go along. Trust yourself in the process - often the messiness of emotions leads to understanding yourself and others better. Conflict can serve as an invitation to grow when you honor the importance of relationships. Many feel that with family there are no returns or exchanges, even with a gift receipt. So embrace the holiday season and rejoice in the love, support and connection of your family relationships.
(c) Her Mentor Center, 2006
Related Tags: conflict resolution, christmas, holiday stress, gift giving, baby boomers, invest time, let go
Phyllis Goldberg, Ph.D.& Rosemary Lichtman, Ph.D. are founders of http://www.HermentorCenter.com, a website for the Sandwich Generation, and blog, http://www.NourishingRelationships.Blogspot.com. They are authors of a forthcoming book about Boomer women and their family relationships and publish a newsletter, Stepping Stones, on their website.Your Article Search Directory : Find in Articles
Recent articles in this category:
- The Beginning of the Cataloging Code
The first significant cataloging code was published in 1841. The realization that cooperation and s
- In the Lap of the Gods 24
Life moved on. Lily became well liked by both students and staff because of her cheerful outlook on
- In the Lap of the Gods 23
Does fate decide the future? Is it all mapped out for us, predestined, or can we influence what com
- Write Your Memoir: How to Write About What Troubles You the Most
Everyone has a story to tell, and unfortunately those stories aren't always pleasant. What makes me
- How Crafty Word Order Can Instantly Improve Your Writing
by Philip Yaffe I am usually very reticent about offering writing tips. Unless they are linked to
- You Say Grandpa, I Say Deda
I was born with two grandmothers but only one grandfather. In nature's rules of familial supply and
- My Russian American Dichotomy
I was a Russian girl and an American teenager. I had no choice about the first but I tried very har
- In the Lap of the Gods 22
This is just an explanation for those who have read some of the other Chapters of, "In the Lap of t
- Write a Book: 8 Reasons You Should Do it
Studies have shown that 82% of people want to write a book, but few of these actually ever achieve
- Book Review: the Book of Common Prayer
Book Review: The Book of Common Prayer, "My carry-with-me copy is this size, and I recommend it for
Most viewed articles in this category:
- Real Estate Investment - Investing In Commercial Properties
As in any other type of investment, its obviously advisable to do your research well so that the pro
- Taking Care Of Acne Prone Skin With Proper Skin Care Products
Although acne has been largely associated with teeners and puberty, the condition is not only confin
- Do I Really Need Eight Hours Of Sleep Each Night?
What if you were told that there is no definitive answer for why we need to sleep? Your initial reac
- How to Improve Your FICO Credit Score
If you didn't know this already, having a good credit score is more important than having a lot of c
- 10 Tips for a Magnificent Memory
"Where did I leave my keys?" "What did I come in here for?" "Your glasses are on top of your head!"
- Things You Might Like To Know About Card Companies
If you have a regular income and are 18 or over then you may be able to get a credit card. You will
- Bad Breath in Babies and Toddlers
If your baby or toddler has had bad breath lately, not to worry. There are plenty of things you can
- Starving College Students No More
The majority of today's college students are extremely Internet savvy. In fact, many of those studen
- Cosmetic Surgery Financing: How Can You Get It?
Cosmetic surgery, a branch of plastic surgery, can be quite expensive, especially if you are plannin
- Article Marketing, Improve Your Ranking With Links
Article Marketing, without a doubt remains the best free formula for attracting website traffic. At