Finding a New Perspective is Child's Play
Watching my daughter the other night, I was amused to see her playing "computer" with my alarm clock. She was teaching her dolly to type on the alarm buttons and showing her the screen - a big red LCD with the time. When I asked her what she was doing she replied, "Working." (Yikes!)
Her play got me thinking. I would never have thought that the alarm looked like a computer. My adult eyes categorize those familiar things - alarm clock, laundry basket, shoe - and I see what I expect. But with less experience of the world, my two year old sees computers and boats and bowls. What are we missing by relying on our adult "knowledge" of the world?
In the '70s computer scientists at Xerox PARC, one of the world's foremost research and development facilities, involved children in the design of computer systems. An R&D lab doesn't seem like the place for kids, but observing how children interacted with computers inspired the researches to design the overlapping windows and graphical interface we take for granted on today's PCs. Talk about the power of fresh perspectives!
Adding a little child's play to your thought processes may offer you the fresh perspectives you need to inspire your life or projects. Following is an exercise that will help you imagine the possibilities. Enjoy!
Dare to Be Ridiculous!
Are you feeling stuck? It may be that you are locked into a rigid, dare I say...adult, way of looking at your situation. Take a hint from the preschool set and let your imagination roam. This light hearted exercise will have you thinking big in no time.
Use physical movement and pay attention to the feelings in your body to help you shift your thinking. And whatever you do, don't forget the ridiculous!
- Stand in the center of the room, breath deeply a few times, and think about your dilemma or a decision you'd like to make.
- How do you feel about this right now? Are you feeling stuck? Anxious? If this feeling you are having were a place, what would it be? A hectic train station, for instance, with too many different tracks? Or a dry, hot, desert with no one else around? What is your unique place? Label this perspective by the place you have identified.
- Now, turn 90 degrees to the right and take in the first thing that catches your eye. Imagine what this thing you've noticed would tell you about your decision. For example, seeing a telephone on the wall might make you think that the only way through your "wall of indecision" is to communicate your intentions fully. How does that perspective feel? What kind of place is this?
- Turn 90 degrees again, repeating the exercise. You will do this two more times. At the end, you will have your starting perspective and three fresh views.
- Finally, when you are back to the starting position, close your eyes and think of the most RIDICULOUS thing you possibly can. It might be anything - an ice cream cone, your dog, a trumpet - any idea that comes immediately to mind will work. Ask yourself what that crazy thing would tell you about your decision, how it makes you feel and what kind of place it is.
Now you're armed with five different perspectives. Which felt the best or most energizing to you? Which perspective will you adopt to help you move forward?
Related Tags: perspective, cumminicate, descisions
Your Article Search Directory : Find in Articles
Recent articles in this category:
- The Resurgence of Fred Perry Clothing
Summer might long be over and Wimbledon may be a distant memory, however the fashion is a year round
- Uncovering Men's Tank Tops
I don't know a thing about you, but I'll bet that you have worn a tank top. Tank tops have also been
- Make Use of Silk Scarves to Take Good Care of Your Skin
In the event you are new about silk scarves, you could never read about this particular feature of s
- Just For Men Scarves - the Preference For Guys in the Vogue Domain
If you are not certain what style of present you could provide for men, maybe you can consider men s
- Think Black Friday Shopping is Beyond Your Budget?
Moms who are juggling the bills and still trying to provide the perfect holiday gift to loved ones a
- How to Make Conscious Shopping Choices
Many people have heard the phrase "voting with your dollars" and they understand that it means your
- Silk Scarves - Unique Present Approach in Xmas Seasons
The most prevalent silk add-on is scarves, and many focus is presented on inspired designing on thes
- Benefits of an Aloe Vera Shampoo
A lot of people are not aware of the specific benefits that using an aloe vera shampoo can do to the
- How Effective is the Power of Your Subconscious Mind?
Most people are bombarded with this thought whenever they feel weak and wish to affect certain chang
- Silk Scarf - the Record For Human Being in the Style History
Throughout the 19th and 20th centuries the worldwide recognition of silk scarves developed dramatica
Most viewed articles in this category:
- Surf and Turf: the Race Track
Surf and Turf: The Race TrackOne of the favorite places for The G to hang out at, especially in Summ
- Are You Looking For Cholesterol Drugs Without Side Effect?
High cholesterol level is probably one of the widely spread complication among Americans. Almost for
- Friday the 13th could be a lucky day?
Friday the 13th sounds unlucky ? Traditional superstition ? And a lot of people dislike it and beli
- Don't Judge A Man
Our world is full of bad tongues, fault-finders, gossipers, mockers, and insulters but do these grou
- When Personalized Gifts Make a Difference
Finding the right gifts for a particular occasion is always a challenging task. Sometimes it is nic
- Managing My Resistance: Learning To Flow With What Life Offers
One of the things that interests me most about conflict is the tendency to resist it and the ways in
- What Are Horoscopes Based On?
If you do not know much about astrology, you may wonder what are horoscopes based on and how astrolo
- 7 Dumbest Relationship Mistakes Smart People Make
We often find ourselves amid the wreckage of a love gone wrong, wringing our hands and asking, "Why
- Motivation as the heart of self improvement
You should be able to find several indispensable facts about Motivation in the following paragraphs
- Is Complete Abstinence from Use of Paychoactive Substances Necessary for Recovery?
Can a sober alcoholic in recovery who has no history of abuse of marijuana, use marijuana without