Biology Experiments for Teachers - Human Senses: Retinal Capillaries
Cut discs about 6 cm in diameter from thin card and make a pin-hole in the centre of each. The hole made by the spike on a pair of compasses or dividers is about the right size. Provide each group with a disc, a sheet of white paper and, if the lighting in the room is not very good, a bench lamp or some source of illumination.
(a) Close one eye and hold the card close to the other.
(b) Look through the pin-hole at a brightly lit sheet of plain white paper about 30 to 40 cm away.
(c) Move the card about very slightly with a circular motion so that you can see through the
pin-hole all the time.
(d) Allow your eyes to relax and a net-like pattern of capillaries will appear against the white background after a few seconds provided you keep the card moving.
(e) There are no capillaries over the fovea. Can you pick out this area in the image you are forming?
The capillaries lie in front of the sensory cells of the retina and cast a constant shadow on these cells. Since stationary images are suppressed or not transmitted, however, we are not normally aware of this capillary network. Moving the pin-hole around constantly changes the light intensity on the retina and the retinal cells are temporarily stimulated by the shadow of the capillaries.
This effect should not be confused with the impressions of moving filamentous objects seen when the eyes are half closed when viewing a bright area such as a clear sky or white surface. The 'floating' images seen in these conditions are usually attributed to debris suspended in the vitreous humour.
Related Tags: education, science, school, teaching, resources, powerpoint, experiments, biology, reference, biological, draw
D G Mackean is the author of GCSE Biology, IGCSE Biology, and many other Biology text books. He has a site of Biology Teaching Resources at http://www.biology-resources.com which includes a bank of experiments for teachers, sample PowerPoint presentations, and many biological drawingsYour Article Search Directory : Find in Articles
Recent articles in this category:
- Radio Controllers - Knowing The Basics
Radio controlled models are different in design and structure, but at their core are the same radio
- The Fourth Decade Of Modern Stereology 1991-2001
Modern stereology introduced an entirely new set of rules for quantification of biological objects i
- Science & Technology Articles - How to buy Wireless IP security cameras
Due to the increasing need for surveillance devices, camera's production become more increasingly. I
- Science & Technology Articles - Sony Ericsson Hottest Phones
One of the best phones created by Sony Ericsson, is the G502 phone. Sony has established that phones
- Entertainment Articles - It's What Is Behind The Scenes That Make Your Movie Viewing Pleasurable
Is there anything that can make or break your entertainment system at home and is something that no
- Current Affairs Articles - 2012 Facts
Making sense How can we make sense of this? Each different theory or combination of theories will m
- Science & Technology Articles - High-density PCIe Telephony Cards from Telesoft Technologies
With well over two decades of experience in the networking and media fields, Telesoft Technologies i
- Science & Technology Articles - IVR Servers from Telesoft Technologies
The interactive voice response server (IVR Server) solution is perhaps one of the most important rec
- Education Articles - Old Teachers Learning New Technological Tricks
As technology and teaching methods have progressed, many classrooms have found themselves brighten
- Business Articles - A Guide To Streamlining Office Technology
Any modern office will likely have the following core contents: desks, chairs, networked computers
Most viewed articles in this category:
- The Bat in Bible and Quran
One of the inherited doctrines of mankind is that the Quran is quoted or borrowed from the Bible.The
- The Rabbit in Bible and Quran
The Bible says that the Rabbit is a ruminant animal while the sciences say that the Rabbit is not a
- The Semen in Bible and Quran
One of the expanded dogmas of mankind is that the Quran is quoted or borrowed from the Bible. This c
- The Iron in Bible and Quran
Before dealing with the topic of the Iron in Quran versus Bible versus sciences, it is essential to
- More and More, Scientists Recognize That Foods Can Heal
Folk remedies that used to be written off as old wives' tales are now being acknowledged by scientis
- Streamlining the Management of Print Spooler Output in an Oracle Applications Environment
The customer associated with this case study is a large, multi-national manufacturer of product
- Manapol: Why Should I Use It?
Manapol® Why Should I Use It? "Upon entry to the cells, mannans can activate the ma
- The Sleep in Bible and Quran
Before dealing with the topic of the Fly in Quran versus Bible versus sciences, it is essential to r
- What Types of Sharks Lived Millions of Years Ago?
The first cartilaginous sharks appeared 370 millions years ago. Their size, their appearance and the
- How are Cinematography and Memorabilia Related to Sharks?
Sharks have influenced both cinematography and its memorabilia through the years. From Jaws the movi