6 Ways To Help You Cope Emotionally
Shock and disbelief are especially common reactions to the diagnosis of colorectal cancer because many people have no warning signs. Patients often say, "How could this be happening to me? I feel fine. I had no clue." Colorectal cancer is commonly discovered during routine examinations and blood tests in patients who are otherwise feeling well. Some people actually deny the reality of their disease, refusing to accept the diagnosis. "This isn't happening to me. It's impossible." If they persist in denying the reality of their colorectal cancer, it can interfere with their treatment and survival.
Fear is another emotion colorectal cancer patients and their loved ones face. They're afraid of what lies ahead. They're afraid because they don't know if the cancer has spread. They fear having to wear a colostomy, an external sack for waste removal. (Most patients today do not need a colostomy.) They fear becoming a burden on their families. Most commonly, they fear dying because we associate the word cancer with death.
You may also feel hopeless about your condition. The word cancer traditionally isn't associated with hope. However, there is plenty to be hopeful about. Today, the cure rate for colorectal cancer diagnosed and treated early is 90 percent. New and more effective treatments are being developed every day. In addition, dozens of cancer survivor groups can provide you with valuable information and emotional support.
All your feelings and reactions are normal and understandable. However, it's important to recognize and cope with your feelings because negative emotions can be very detrimental to your health. Anxiety and stress can lead to lack of sleep, poor appetite, weight loss, poor judgment, and make you physically sick. Research has shown that stress like that caused by negative emotions can depress the immune system and make recovery more difficult. With help from your loved ones and your doctors, it's possible to gain some perspective on your feelings and focus on the positive factors that can help you beat colorectal cancer.
During this difficult time, it's the people closest to you who will be your best supporters. Do not be afraid to lean on or open up to them. They want to help. Often people can help by listening or just being there.
Here are some tips for getting the support you need and coping with the emotional side of your condition:
1. Assemble your support team. Think about who is closest to you – friends, family, co-workers. Who do you feel comfortable talking with? Who might be available to help you with practical matters like driving you to doctor visits? Make a list of people you'd like on your support team. Then ask them if they'll be available for you during this difficult time.
2. Talk about how you feel. Tell your spouse/partner, family, friends, and other members of your support team about your anxieties and fears. Don't try to "protect" your loved ones by keeping your feelings bottled up inside. It helps to get your feelings out in the open. Let them talk about their fears, too.
3. Don't be shy. Cancer is difficult to talk about. This is especially true of colorectal cancers. People shy away from talking about anything affecting their bowels. Friends, family, and coworkers may find it awkward in the beginning to talk about your condition because of their own anxieties and fears. Talking about your colorectal cancer will help remove the stigma.
4. Avoid blaming yourself. It's nobody's "fault" that you have colorectal cancer. Avoid playing the "blame game" and concentrate on getting better.
5. Let others know what you need. Maybe you need someone to talk with, someone to take care of the children, or a ride to the doctor's office. Let your friends and family know how they can support you.
6. Look for the positive. Focus on the fact that the cancer was diagnosed early and there is a very good chance of being cured. Or concentrate on the fact that new and better treatments are being developed every day. Staying positive won't guarantee you'll beat the disease, but it'll make it easier to cope.
Related Tags: health, cancer, vitamins, nutrition, medicine, disease, breast, herbal cures
Make Money On EbayDaniel Millions Your Article Search Directory : Find in Articles
Recent articles in this category:
- Dental Insurance For Individual Can Be Of Help At Time
Dental problem may cost one a lot of money and pain. But, practicing a reasonable care could decreas
- Personal Trainer For Perfect Health
There is a general misconception that need for a fitness trainer comes for novice or from those who
- Varicose Veins - Causes, Symptoms, Treatment
The majority of people after thirty notice the changes that appear with the maturing. In this case t
- Scenar Therapy - Self-treatment Or Healing Partnership
Do you want to learn about a device which will help you to ease your pain? If you get this kind of a
- Scenar - 5 "no, Nos" Of Scenar
Are you fed up with the pain in your body? Various parts of our body seem to ache due to different r
- Scenar Device - 5 Tips On Travelling With Your Scenar (skenar) Device
You might be aware of scenar which has become quite popular these days. This is actually the acronym
- Scenar Therapy - How To Treat Your Pet With Scenar
There are many alternative methods of treatment that are being invented these days. Lots of people a
- Your Options For The Treatment For Appendicitis
Appendicitis is considered to be a surgical illness. Due to its severe character, the treatment for
- How To Choose The Right Copd Medication
Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease or COPD does not have any cure. But with the help of medicines
- Septic Arthritis: Infectious Agents Penetrate Joints' Spaces
Another major type of arthritis is septic arthritis, which is also known in various terms like: pyog
Most viewed articles in this category:
- Drugs - the Last Alternative for Adhd in Kids
Anyone over the age of thirty who has grown up with ADHD understands that there was not much help av
- Foods To Eat To Gain Weight
Malnutrition has the same degree of problem as obesity. There are people who are too skinny, they fi
- Understanding Postpartum Clothing
The same way most pregnant women dream of the day when they will begin showing for wearing maternity
- Kegel Exercising for Bladder Control and Enhanced Sexual Pleasure
Kegel exercises strengthen the muscles of the pelvic floor, thereby improving the urethra and/or rec
- The Use Of Weight Loss Herbs
Nothing has garnered more attention in today's world than the success or failures of weight loss pro
- A Simple Acid Relux Cure
Many people today are afflicted with heartburn. If they eat food that is too spicy, they get heartbu
- Five Effective Household Back Pain Treatments
Back pain treatment comes in lots of forms, from exercise to pain mediction. Standard and most wides
- Herbal Remedies - Can They Cure What Ails You?
You've probably heard about herbal remedies before and how they can treat a variety of health proble
- Natural Relief for Tinnitus - What are your Choices
Natural Relief For Tinnitus - Alternative Options Did you know that there are an estimated 50 t
- Birthing Around the World
Since ancestral times, different cultures showed off different customs and beliefs around the miracl