Asthma In Kids: An Increasing Epidemic
- Date: 2006-12-04 - Word Count: 400 Share This!
Many believe that the majority of asthma cases are confined to adults, but this is definitely an incorrect assumption. because asthma in kids has become increasingly common in the last 20 years. We are uncertain as to why this is so, but it is an undoubted fact that in the United States alone there are 5,000,000+ children beneath the age of 18 who suffer from asthmic symptoms.
In a recent study (2004) it was discovered that the #1 cause of absenteeism in school is asthma, accounting for a whopping 14,000,000 lost days in school. According to the American Lung Association, four million kids below the age of 18 had an asthma attack during this year.
Anyone, at any age, can manifest asthmatic symptoms - even infants - but most often symptoms manifest themselves around the young age of five.
Who Is Most Vulnerable To An Asthma Attack?
1. Boys are more likely than girls to be sick in earlier childhood
2. Children of African American descent are more vulnerable than Caucasians, Hispanics or Asians
3. And, not surprisingly, children in our increasingly polluted cities are more vulnerable than kids in the less-crowded suburbs and rural areas
Symptoms Of Childhood Asthma
Childhood asthma is like adult asthma in that the symptoms are generally the same:
* Inflammation in the airways
* Difficulty in breathing
* Rapid breathing
* Shortness of breath
* Symptoms that worsen at night
* Tightness in the chest
There is a special problem with childhood asthma that doesn't apply to adults and that is that children are much less inclined to take care of themselves and thus the parental role is critical. Some kids are simply too young to assume this responsibility while those who are older may have various reasons for neglecting the necessary treatment. For instance, they may dislike being seen as "different" from their classmates or they may be too busy with sports and other activities to monitor their breathing. Thus, an asthma attack that could have been avoided, or at least reduced in severity, is allowed to emerge.
Parents must ensure that:
1. Their child understands and is educated about their asthmatic condition
2. Medications are ingested on a medical schedule
3. And mom and dad can do much to reassure the child so that he doesn't become panicked and afraid, thus worsening his condition.
Without monitoring, childhood asthma may seriously affect a child's general health in a very negative way, possibly even resulting in hospitalization. Asthma in kids must be taken seriously!
To learn more about asthma in kids and how you can best protect your little ones, check out AsthmaAnswersOnline.com which offers helpful asthma facts.
Your Article Search Directory : Find in Articles
Recent articles in this category:
- Important Things to Know About an Assisted Living Residence in Texas
n assisted living residence is a facility designed for senior citizens or persons with disabilities
- Understanding How the Probate Process Works
The probate process is required within the U.S. to settle estates of deceased persons. The time requ
- Fun Ideas for the Family During the Christmas Holiday
The Yuletide season is one of the most awaited holidays of the year because it is the time for joy a
- How To Find The Right Composite Decking Deck Builders
Another rising home improvement project homeowners are starting to do a lot more of is the composite
- Every Home Should Have A Radiant Barrier
The most easy and successful home improvement project you can do to your House, would be to install
- The Different Types Of Rain Gutters
When purchasing a house or planning to do improvements to a home, there is always one project that s
- How To Get The Best Replacement Windows For Your Home
Installing replacement windows can be the single most important home improvement project you can do
- Holiday Accommodation Gold Coast: Pointers For Selecting The Best
With a multitude of holiday accommodations in Gold Coast, choosing the one for yourself can be quite
- Want Holiday Accommodation In Gold Coast Queensland? Get Online To Find The Best Deal In A Quick, Co
There are several ways to find holiday accommodation in Gold Coast. You may refer to travel guides t
- Celebrate The Ten-days Festival Of Navratri.
Dasara known as Dussehra, Navaratri, Vijaya Dashami is a festival of triumph of GOOD over Evil. The
Most viewed articles in this category:
- Adoptees Need Support When Voicing Feelings about Birth Parents
"I feel like a mistake.""I'm not like them.""Where's my family?""Why can't I find a suitable career?
- Progressive Cooking: All About 'cuisine'
The French are known for their interest in art and all that is fine. It therefore comes as no surpri
- Moroccan Decor - Oh My! Make Your Home Shine With Moroccan Rugs and Tapestries.
It is said in Morocco that he who enters Fez with a rug will leave with a moneybag. This saying o
- Online Criminal Background Checks-Importance & Ease
Have you ever thought your new neighbor looks like one of the pictures on the post office bulletin b
- Installing A Burglar Alarm
Want to protect your home? Ready to install a burglar alarm? The popularity of the home burglar ala
- Lowe's Backyard Playground Sets
Lowe's is an excellent first place to look for anyone who is looking for the best swing sets on the
- How Could Short Term Health Insurance Help Me?
Short-term health insurance plans allow people to have health insurance for a limited amount of time
- Watch Out For Those Stinky Skunks!
There are various species of skunks found throughout the United States including the striped, spotte
- Stairlifts For Riders Of Above Average Weight
A stairlift is an affordable device that is used to give people with limited mobility access to the
- Winter Weather Preparations It's Never Too Late
Each year, exposure to cold, vehicle accidents caused by wintry roads, and fires caused by the impro