Types of light bulbs
There are several different types of light fixtures and usually these will vary based on the types of light bulbs you put in them. Each separate light bulb has its benefits and disadvantages, so you should research them thoroughly before you make your final decision.
The two types of light bulbs that you're most likely to use in a home are incandescent bulbs and occasionally fluorescent. These bulbs work in entirely different ways. The incandescent bulbs will not last as long as the other bulbs, but they are less hazardous, are easiest to dispose of when they have burned out, and are less likely to cause a fire.
Incandescent bulbs consist of a filament of tungsten inside of a glass bulb. The bulb can be frosted or clear, depending on the bulb. The tungsten is heated until it glows white, and that is where the white incandescent bulbs come from. While the tungsten is glowing, parts of it are actually burning off. As a result, after a while, the filament will break, and a new bulb will be needed.
Fluorescent bulbs are tubes with gas in them. Usually the gasses used are argon and mercury. The electricity will cause UV-rays inside of the glass tube, which will then hit a coating of phosphorous and cause light. Originally, there were only the tube-style fluorescent bulbs, and you required a separate light fixture to install them. Now, however, you can also purchase fluorescent bulbs that have the tube coiled up into a size and shape that is similar to the incandescent bulb. These will last much longer, but make sure that you dispose of them properly when they do burn out.
Halogen bulbs are very similar to incandescent bulbs, but they are designed to preserve the filament of tungsten. As a result, they have a much smaller glass bulb around the filament and have a tendency to get much hotter. Therefore, halogen bulbs are rarely used in the same places as regular incandescent bulbs since they could be a potential fire hazard.
Source: Free Articles from ArticlesFactory.com
Related Tags: light, bulbs, of, types
Get home design and decorating ideas by watching homes from all over the world - please visit http://www.dwank.com Your Article Search Directory : Find in Articles
Recent articles in this category:
- Home Repair Articles - Handyman - Cut Costs and Learn to DIY
In the middle of avid do-it-yourselfers and those who insist on calling a professional lies the terr
- Home Repair Articles - Be Your Own Roofing Contractor - Get Up There And Stop The Leak Before It Ruins Your House
When it rains, it pours - in your living room. This is not good! If you've got water coming in, even
- Home Improvement Articles - How Do Wood Fireplace Inserts Work?
First-time homebuyers and those who have lived in homes without a fireplace may be unfamiliar with w
- Home Improvement Articles - A Denver Wood Burning Fireplace Makes Your Home Ready For Winter
Denver homeowners are enjoying the sunny warm weather of summer, but not very long from now winter's
- Home Improvement Articles - What's Hot in Direct Vent Fireplaces?
Are you looking for a direct vent fireplace? Then you've likely spent some time searching on
- Home Repair Articles - Boiler Installation Tips And Advice
If you feel that the time has come to upgrade your boiler to a newer more energy efficient design th
- Home Repair Articles - The Correct And Safe Way For Boiler Installation
During this economy crisis it is very important to understand various ways on how to be more conserv
- Home Repair Articles - Deciding On That French Home Accessories
Whether one is designing a home for the first time or simply redecorating, there are a lot of option
- Home Repair Articles - Creating The Perfect French Atmosphere With The Right French Home Accessories
Not a lot of people prefer the French style these days. Modern designs are presently more preferred
- Home Repair Articles - The Benefits From The Combi Boilers
Heating units or boilers that are installed in many houses in Britain this days are combi. The combi
Most viewed articles in this category:
- Kitchen Heating is Essential for Every Home
In every kitchen there is a problem if the room temperature or the water temperature is below comfor
- Properly Installed Do it Yourself Gutters
There's not much glamour in gutter systems, but when properly installed, they do a great job of dire
- Alarm Systems - Feeling Safe
In 1858, a man named Edwin Holmes, invented the first burglar alarm system. It was a simple device c
- What to Do Before You Build a Fireplace
Fireplaces are found in homes across the world in all countries that witness severe cold during the
- Aluminium Fences Are Both Beautiful and Practical
Once upon a time, people were concerned only about the safety and security of their homes and hence
- New Ideas for Wooden Decks
Many people today prefer homes which provide space to lounge around and have a very casual and a ver
- Don't Fall Into "the Money Pit" During your Home Remodeling Project
One of the funniest movies I ever saw was "The Money Pit" starring Tom Hanks and Shelley Long. They
- Do it Yourself Concreting and Concrete Resurfacing
There are many low-pressure crack injection kits which come with simple instructions so the homeowne
- How to build an outdoor kitchen
Like most major outdoor fixtures, this will take twice as much work as its indoor counterpar
- How to install vinyl flooring
If you think that there is a chance that either you or somebody else who might buy your home