Alcohol Poisoning The Problems With Drinking

by Ed Philips - Date: 2006-12-26 - Word Count: 453 Share This!

One of the problems with excessive drinking is the possibility of alcohol poisoning.

While there are people who think that a high school or college student who is stumbling around in a drunken stupor is funny, it may be a serious problem. Alcohol poisoning can be deadly.

There are many dangers that exist concerning alcohol poisoning. Tragedies happen because people do not know what to do in these situations or even the signs to look for.

Some people think that a person who has had too much to drink should just take a cold shower, drink some coffee or walk or sleep it off. None of these things work, the only thing that does work is time and a person who has alcohol poisoning may not have this luxury.

When a person drinks the alcohol depresses the nerves that control involuntary actions. These actions, like the gag reflex and breathing can be stopped if a person drinks too much.

Someone who has had too much to drink may vomit because the alcohol irritates the stomach. If that person chokes on the vomit they may die because they are not conscious. A person's blood alcohol concentration may keep rising even after the person has passed out. This can also lead to death.

If you are in a situation where there is a possibility of someone having alcohol poisoning here are some critical signs to watch for:

Mental confusion, stupor, a person who can't be roused, coma
Irregular breathing
Bluish skin color or paleness that can signify hypothermia
Slow breathing

Any of these signs can mean that you need to take action. There have been many cases where people have waited too long to call 911 or have assumed that the person will be all right after they sleep it off.

All of the symptoms do not need to be present for there to be a serious and life threatening problem and any person who has passed out from drinking could die.

When a person has alcohol poisoning and does not get the treatment they need there are several things that can happen.

The person may experience slower breathing which can become irregular and then stop all together.

A person who has alcohol poisoning and goes untreated may choke on his own vomit.

Sometimes severe dehydration occurs and the person will have seizures, permanent brain damage or may die. If a person who has alcohol poisoning is not helped her heart may beat irregularly or stop beating.

Hypoglycemia, which is too little blood sugar can lead to seizures.

Alcohol poisoning is a serious situation and one that needs to be handled with care. Don't assume a drinking buddy will be O.K. after he has stopped drinking and passed out. Know the signs and know what to do.

Related Tags: health, alcohol, alcoholic, addiction, alcoholism, beer, drinking, alcoholics anonymous

Ed Philips is a writer for is an excellent place on how to stop drinking,For more information go Your Article Search Directory : Find in Articles

© The article above is copyrighted by it's author. You're allowed to distribute this work according to the Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs license.

Recent articles in this category:

Most viewed articles in this category: