Unlike other types of diabetes such as Diabetes Mellitus Diabetes Insipidus is a disease that is linked to the pituitary gland in the brain. When the word diabetes is mentioned most people will assume that we are speaking of Diabetes Mellitus (Sugar Diabetes). Diabetes Insipidus though is not caused by a lack of insulin or the lack of insulin regulation. Diabetes Insipidus happens when the pituitary gland does not make enough of the hormone ADH. Antidiuretic Hormone is needed to control the amount of water in the body. Diabetes Insipidus can be a serious or even fatal disease if not caught and treated. The treatment may be ongoing for the rest of your life.
What causes Diabetes Insipidus?
Like all forms of diabetes no one knows exactly what causes the actual disease however they do know that people that have had other problems are prime candidates to develop Diabetes Insipidus.
If you have or have had any of the following you may develop Diabetes Insipidus:
* A brain aneurysm which is a weak spot in a blood vessel causing the artery to balloon out much like a weak spot on a tire causes a "bulge"
* Any type of brain infection
* A Tumor of the brain
* A Tumor of the Pituitary Gland
* Compulsive, excessive fluid intake
* Bleeding inside the skull
* Family history of Diabetes Insipidus
* Head Injury that may cause damage to the Pituitary Gland
* Kidney Disease
* Surgery on the Pituitary Gland sometimes causes a temporary type that lasts about 14 days
If you have the following signs or symptoms, you should ask your physician to do further testing for possible Diabetes Insipidus:
* Dry skin, especially the hands.
* Passing large amounts of extremely clear urine
* Terrible thirst especially for cold or iced fluids
What is the treatment?
The treatment depends more on what appears to be causing the problem. This is one place where the allopathic medical community agrees with the naturopathic medical community. Remove the cause and you treat the disease. This is the underlying theme to most naturopathic treatments, where as the allopathic community is more a symptom treatment practice.
Depending on what may be causing the problem a person may be subjected to any or all of the following tests and or treatments:
> Complete medical history and exam
> Basic Blood and Urine tests
> Computerized Tomography scan (CT Scan)
> Daily weights to determine fluid loss or gain
> Dehydration test
> Intake and output measurements (I and O)
> Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)
> Surgery. If a tumor is involved you may need brain surgery to remove it.
This report should in no way be considered medical advice. The suggestions and/or techniques described in this report are for informational purposes only. If you are ill or injured you should see your primary healthcare professional immediately
Contact the following groups for more information:
* American Association of Diabetes Educators
American Association of Diabetes Educators
100 West Monroe Street, Suite 400
Chicago, IL 60603-1901
Web Address: http://www.aadenet.org
* American Diabetes Association
1701 North Beauregard Street
Alexandria, VA 22311
Web Address: http://www.diabetes.org
* National Diabetes Information Clearinghouse
1 Information Way
Bethesda, MD 20892-3560
Web Address: www.diabetes.niddk.nih.gov
Annually the American Diabetes Association has a fundraiser bicycle ride called the "Tour De Cure" I often ride in this event which raises money to help with research to combat diabetes. Be sure to check out my website for details on helping the ADA to find a cure.
Related Tags: daibetes, adh, pituitary gland, diebetes insipidus
Jerry Goodwin has been certified as a Medical Technologist since 1977. He is also certified as a Personal Trainer, Cardiovascular Trainer and Medical exer-therapist. He is a Veteran of the US Navy having served during the Viet Nam era. Jerry also served in the Army National Guard in Ohio, Texas, Kansas and Georgia as a field medic with Infantry, Armored Cavalry, Artillery and Mechanized Infantry Units. He has earned several medals including the Army Commendation Medal. Jerry is the editor of Body Mind and Goals Ezine and the owner of BMG Services Fitness and Nutrition at www.bmgfitness.comYour Article Search Directory : Find in Articles
Recent articles in this category:
- How To Reverse Insulin Resistance?
Insulin resistance is a health condition that the body is not able to respond to insulin. It will pr
- Top Different Diabetes Symptoms You Ought To Know
Diabetes Mellitus is a serious condition wherein abnormality in insulin is taking place. It is wheth
- The Best Diabetes Treatment
Diabetes happens when there is a high amount of sugar in the body. This occurs when the body has sto
- How To Spot The Initial Symptons Of Diabetes
The amount of glucose in the blood is glycemia. The Glycemic Mark suggests which carbohydrates inclu
- Get Moving! Prevent Diabetes By Engaging In Physical Activity
The more you keep your body moving, the better and longer you are likely to live. At least 150 minut
- How To Successfully Avoid Getting Diabetes
Before panic gets in the way, those who are prone to diabetes should familiarize themselves with the
- Ways In How You Can Help To Foil Diabetes
In lots of situations, diabetes is an inherited condition. Folks who have first level family with th
- Who Needs To Know That You Have Diabetes?
It is important to let people know that you have diabetes, especially if you have type one diabetes
- Maintaining Your Eyesight With Diabetes
Diabetes is a common disease and has important implications for the short-term and long-term health
- Fasting Blood Glucose Level Test, Fasting Blood Sugar Test (fbs)
Fasting Blood Glucose Level Test, Fasting Blood Sugar Test (FBS) - both are synonymous terms referri
Most viewed articles in this category:
- How Original Limu Moui Can Help Treat Type 2 Diabetes
Type 2 Diabetes. Even the name sounds deadly. You would have to be a hermit not to know that mor
- Help Children with Diabetes to Cope at School
Parents of children with diabetes should take the initiative and inform the school's principal and t
- The Diabetic Food Pyramid
There is a Food Pyramid that was created especially for diabetics who need help managing their eatin
- Diet for Gestational (Gestional) Diabetes
When a woman in her pregnant is having high blood sugar (glucose) then she has gestational diabetes.
- diabetic neuropathy treatment
by rabortfor kind information<a href="http://www.drraomd.com/encyclopedia/disease/diabetes.h
- Diabetes Type 1 in Children and Adults
What is Diabetes?Diabetes Mellitus (Sugar Diabetes) is a disease characterized by the body's inabili
- 8 Commonly Heard Diabetes Mellitus Misconceptions
8 Commonly Heard Diabetes Mellitus Misconceptions As with most diseases there is a great deal of mis
- Most Type II Diabetes is Preventable
Several recent studies show that most cases of Type II diabetes can be prevented with the diabetic
- Avoid Diabetes Problems - Ensure Your Skin And Feet Are Kept Clean!
People with diabetes should take care of their skin and feet in order to avoid problems that can be
- Supplements For Diabetes - What Recent Studies Say?
Diabetes is a chronic condition in which body does not produce or produce less insulin compared to h