The chemical make up of batteries varies in that different batteries may contain heavy metals such as zinc and lead, which may pose significant environmental threats. Batteries, when disposed in an unsafe manner, may leak into the ground, cause corrosion of the soil, and pose problems for wildlife. Recycling batteries allows safe disposal of used batteries and prevents pollution.
Batteries are primarily classified into two basic categories, namely, chargeable batteries and non-chargeable batteries. Non-chargeable batteries cannot be recycled. Chargeable batteries, on the other hand, can be reused and recycled. Chargeable batteries consist of a large variety of materials that can be recycled to form raw materials for manufacturing industries. Common components in batteries are lead, nickel-cadmium, nickel hydride, and mercury. The batteries are first separated from plastics and insulation material using gas-fired thermal oxidizers. Batteries are then processed using heat treatment furnaces using large amounts of energy to create the end product.
The American government specifies certain rules and standard procedures to be followed for the purpose of recycling batteries. There is a large number of battery recycling centers all over the nation. The centers recycle batteries based on principles and standards specified by government authorities. The centers collect used batteries from American households and offer recharged batteries at a nominal cost. These centers also provide services for recycling rechargeable batteries that have reached the end of their usable life.
Battery recycling helps conserve the environment, saves natural resources, and reduces the need for landfills. A large number of websites on the Internet provide quality information about battery recycling.
Related Tags: recycling, waste management and recycling, recycling center, computer recycling
Recycling provides detailed information on Recycling, Waste Management And Recycling, Recycling Center, Computer Recycling and more. Recycling is affiliated with Fundraising Software.Your Article Search Directory : Find in Articles
Recent articles in this category:
- Third Term - The Obasanjo Syndrome ... Ambition and the Place of God
I recently read a post in a blog (multibrand.blogspot.com) concerning President SBY of Indonesia amb
- Black Veterans Still Not Receiving Their Due
With a Black President, many discussions have been re-kindled regarding the treatment of Blacks in v
- Are Green Party Candidates Converting Voters?
Have you noticed that the Green Party Convention is hosting a few training sessions which include th
- The National Debt: Young Americans Are Inheriting a Sinking Ship
The greatest fundamental weakness of the United States of America is its national debt. Debt weighs
- America Must Return to Its Free Market Roots
The United States is the most prosperous country in the world. Its economy has been a constant engin
- Policies Of President Obama And Democratic Congress Severely Undermine Job Opportunities For Young Americans
For Young Americans, this is the worst job market in decades. Despite politicians claiming we are on
- The Virtues Of A Limited Federal Government And Why America Must Return To The Limited Federal Republic Laid Out In The Constitution
I consider the foundation of the Constitution . . . that 'all powers not delegated to the United Sta
- Young Americans Have Largest Stake In Maintaining A Strong Military And Effective Homeland Security Policies
Americans are truly blessed to live in a country protected by the most powerful and effective milita
- Why Hitler Wanted To Ban Guns
Whenever the name Adolf Hitler is mentioned one automatically makes a connection to the Holocaust, N
- What Happened To The Mohave County Downwinders?
I always get a bit frustrated when I hear that the reason Mohave County was excluded from the Radiat
Most viewed articles in this category:
- Designer Shoes Come First In Global Poll Of Most Wanted Accessories
For both men and women, shoes have long been an essential fashion item. In fact, many women in popul
- New US Ambassador for Indonesia Named
The US government has appointed Cameron R. Hume as the next ambassador to Indonesia, reliable source
- 1984 By George Orwell
1984 by George Orwell In the book "1984" Orwell criticizes totalitarianism of all types and brings
- Chaos Theory: Bush's delusions & Iraq's destiny (Part 2)
The classic counter-insurgency strategy of the US consists of the "ink-blotch" approach. This involv
- Will Israel Attack Iran (Part 2)
In November of last year, I wrote an article speculating about whether or not the Israelis would tak
- Rodrigues Island 'autonomy'
Rodrigues Island: 'Autonomy' The first few pages were qui
- Obama Is Coming, Clear The Way!
"Obama biro, yawne yo!" (Obama is coming, clear the way)—Tens of thousands of cheering Luo "Tr
- African Tribes
African Tribes In this article the economies and lifestyles of such African tribes as the Lele and
- This Is Not Your Dad's Republican Party Anymore
Stock markets are strange because they reflect the sum total of all our hopes, fears and prejudices
- How to Drastically Reduce our Foreign Oil Dependency While Saving you Money at the Pump
If you watch or listen to the news, discussions come up all the time about the price of a barrel of