Understanding The Basic Rules Of Golf
Golf is played by striking a ball using a club on an area called "teeing ground." Once the ball is hit, it typically travels fairways across and onto a next prepared area. A hole could be found in this area that is called a "putting green."
The objective of the game of golf is that one should be able to complete a hole by means of hitting a ball from a teeing ground and place it inside the hole of the putting green in as few strokes as possible. What is usually referred to as a round of golf generally consists of 18 holes to be played in.
In golf, there are mainly two kinds of play to pick from. The winner in one kind of play is determined by the holes that are lost and won, this is referred to as a match play.
The other kind of play is determined by the number of strokes one has taken to complete a round. This is called a stroke play.
When playing golf, there are two relevant rules to remember: as you find the course, go play it. As the ball lies, it should also be played as such.
If you find it hard to follow the above rule, at least try your very best to do what is reasonable. How do you know what is fair? Below are the summarized rules to give you a good idea of how to play a good game of golf.
The Intro: Basic golf courtesy
1. Avoid moving, chatting or standing too close to a golfer who is about to make a stroke.
2. Play with a minimum amount of delay. As quickly as the players in the group that you are in have left, it is just as best that you do the same. Try your best not to play until the group is already out of the way.
3. As much as possible, try to replace the divots. Also, remember to smooth any footprints found in the bunkers.
4. It is greatly inadvisable to drop your clubs on the putting green, so don't!
The Rules of Playing
1. Before playing that all important round of golf, the first thing you should do is to read the local rules stated on the score card you are holding.
2. After which do not forget to place an identifying mark on the ball you are going to use. Some golfers use the same type and brand of golf ball, if in case your ball is placed among these bunch, you will have difficulty finding which is which.
3. Make sure that you get to count your clubs before actual play. You should have a maximum of fourteen clubs.
4. When beginning actual play, it is best that you tee off in front of the tee markers.
When you tee outside this specified area and you are playing a match play, your opponent may have to ask you to repeat the stroke you just did. The good thing when one does this in a match play, you get to incur no penalty. However, if in a stroke play, you then are given a penalty of two-stroke.
5. If while you are playing and your golf ball happens to lie in a bunker or a water hazard, you should not in any way touch the ground of the bunker or the water before you do your down swing.
6. The ball must as much as possible be struck fairly and should neither be spooned or pushed.
7. It is alright for you to mark the ball that you are using. You could take your ball, clean it and place it on the exact place where it was.
8. When dropping a ball, it is best that you stand upright and then hold the ball at the length of your shoulder, and then you may drop it. If by dropping the ball it happens to strike your partner, you or your caddie, the ball must then be dropped again with no penalty.
9. It is also fine for you to lift your ball if by doing so you are able to assist another player. Or you also may lift any other ball as long as that ball interferes with your playing or interferes another player.
PickUpGolf is a new golfing portal for golf lovers , with expert articles on golf tips and golf equipment reviews. Visit http://www.pickupgolf.com for free download of the complete guide on golf tips and techniques. Your Article Search Directory : Find in Articles
Recent articles in this category:
- Links Golf Courses Of Snowdonia
As the great Ian Woosnam himself once said of playing golf in North Wales: "If you are looking for c
- Deciding If Take Golf Lessons
In case you are interested in improving your game or you're just considering beginning to play golf,
- Medicus Dual Hinge Driver - Add Distance And Accuracy To Your Drives
The Medicus Dual Hinge Driver will help you to hit longer and straighter drives by giving you instan
- Phil Mickelson Putting Style
So what is Phil Mickelson putting style? After all, he can string together a bunch of birdies in a r
- 3 Slice Tips To Help You Fix A Slice In Your Swing
For many golfers having the ability to fix a slice is a genuine battle. If you are someone who faces
- The Best Of Courses In Golf Are Respected Worldwide
Even the most innocent golfers will fancy playing on the best of golf courses they can meet the expe
- 10 Minutes A Day To Building Confidence In Golf
Confidence in golf comes from both a conscious and an unconscious perspective. This article is focus
- 10 Critical Areas In The Golf Mental Game
When it comes to golf, the mental game is highly recognized as being a big factor. We conducted a su
- Why In Golf Hitting Fat Shots Has Both Mechanical And Mental Factors
When it comes to a lack of confidence in golf, hitting fat shots and hitting thin shots is often a r
- Overcome Hitting Fat Golf Shots By Thinking Confidently
Hitting fat golf shots will erode one's confidence, depending upon the age of the golfer. That's cor
Most viewed articles in this category:
- The New Square Drivers - Is It Hip To Be Square?
You've probably heard about the new square drivers. As one golfer commented..."Looks like a tank on
- Grooved Golf Swing Series: How To Use Your Elbow While Putting
Here is a tip that will allow you to control the putter head and send it along the right line every
- Grooved Golf Swing Series: How To Be A Better Putter - Some Tips
First a look at the alignment of the putter blade as you place it behind the ball. If you have you
- How to Benefit From Golf Training Aids
A person who wants to go into a sporting hobby can choose something that will not only entertain him
- Left Handed Golf - Do Left-Handers Play Golf Left-Handed
I am a natural left-hander and I write with my left and play one handed sports such as tennis, badmi
- Golf - Equipment Required
How would you like to learn to play like Tiger Woods?Well, we can't promise you that, but we can giv
- Golf Swing Instruction Will Improve Your Swing Technique And Distance
Do you see the need for instruction for your golf swing? Most amateur golfers have subpar swing mec
- How To Use Golf Training Aids To Get Your Tempo In The Groove
Baaack and thru. Baaack and thru. Baaack and thru. Feel the rhythm, feel the tempo. Bring the club b
- Become A Better Golfer By Improving Your Short Game With These Golfing Tips
If you've spent some time either playing or watching golf, then you'll know that around 70 percent o
- Discount Clone Golf Clubs - Save Your Money for the 19th Hole!
Anyone who plays golf knows the sport is not at all cheap. With membership fees, golf green fee cos