Guinea Pigs Foods And Feeding - The Seven Foods You Must Always Keep Away From A Guinea Pig
What should you avoid to feed a guinea pig?
If you know what food you should be feeding your guinea pig, you should also know that there are some things that you shouldn't feed them.
If you accidentally feed your guinea pig something from this list that is not poisonous, just watch him or her carefully for signs of illness. However, you'll want to call or take him to the vet immediately if he or she has ingested something poisonous.
- Do not feed your guinea pig iceberg lettuce. While most leafy greens do provide an excellent source of Vitamin C for your guinea pig, iceberg lettuce does not. You're better off purchasing kale or cabbage for your pet.
- Do not feed your guinea pig long stalks of celery. Those stringy pieces that can get wound up in your garbage disposal are just as hard for your guinea pig to digest. If your guinea pig likes celery, you need to cut it up into smaller pieces before you give it to them.
- Do not feed your guinea pig any shelled nuts or seeds. Your guinea pig can easily choke on the pieces of the shell. Also, be careful about the guinea pig treat sticks that are sold in pet stores because these often contain shelled seeds.
- Do not feed your guinea pig rhubarb, beans, or potatoes with green spots. These are all poisonous to your guinea pig.
- Do not feed your guinea pig certain types of plants. While some plants, like dandelions and clover, are safe for your guinea pig, many others are poisonous to him or her. Daffodils, hyacinths, poppy, and buttercups are some of those too avoid.
- Do not feed your guinea pig any dairy products. Although some people may suggest feeding their guinea pigs yogurt in order to clean out their digestive systems, you should avoid feeding any dairy product to your guinea pig because they are lactose intolerant, which means their bodies can not properly process daily products. Also, excess calcium will cause guinea pigs to develop kidney and/or bladder stones.
Related Tags: children, guinea pigs, pig, guinea pig, cavy, cavies, piggie
Florian Ross developed comprehensive guides to help people succeed with their guinea pigs. Find out more about how to have your guinea pig live 2 times longer with his popular free ecourse at=>pets-lovers.com Your Article Search Directory : Find in Articles
Recent articles in this category:
- The Time I Had a Pet Blue Wasp
A lot of people have pets such as dogs, cats, birds, rabbits, turtles and some even have snakes and
- Why Should You Buy Barking Collars For Dogs?
You love your dog but he always barks and misbehaves. It is very upsetting for owners to have dogs t
- What to Consider Before Adopting a Dog
There may be plenty of occasions in your life when a puppy crosses your path and desperately needs a
- What Do Pet Insurance Policies Cover?
The most basic pet insurance policies simply cover vet bills. More advanced policies can cover every
- Dog Walkers Are They For You
If you own a dog then you will know how important it is to ensure that it is walked often to keep th
- Creating the Right First Aid Kit For Your Dog
Most of us have some type of first aid kit in our homes. They are necessary for those small bumps an
- Deciding to Crate Your Dog For Training
There are several different ways that you may decide to use to train your new dog and they are all v
- What to Know About Diets For Dogs
Weight seems to be a struggle for just about anyone, and that is true in the world of dogs. In fact,
- Dog Training Basics - Important Tips to Remember
Training your dog is important. It's important for his safety, your safety, the safety of your prope
- Don't Go Raising Sheep For Wool Without Reading This!
There are many possible reasons why people choose to raise sheep. Some do it as a means of livelihoo
Most viewed articles in this category:
- Chesapeake Bay Retriever Puppy And Dog Information
The Chesapeake Bay Retriever is not an apartment dog. She needs plenty of room to exercise and havin
- How To Choose The Right Dog Trainer
Choosing a trainer is a very important decision and one that requires a fair amount of research and
- Can Greenies Dog Treats Recover From Death?
A Makeover For Greenies(r) Treats Months after a series of lawsuits and media attention alleged the
- Dog Treats - How to Choose Healthy Treats for Your Dog
Your dog is indeed your best friend and how you feed him or her is very important. Even small items
- How to Choose A Good Dog Trainer
If you find that you are not being successful in training your own dog, or maybe you don't have the
- Dog Breeds and Asthma Sufferers: Are Hypoallergenic Breeds Always Best?
The first important consideration is to understand exactly what hypoallergenic dog breeds are. In sh
- Audubon Bird Feeders
Bird watching is an enjoyable hobby for many of us. We love the antics of the different birds as
- Must Have Accessories For Your Fish Tank
When many individuals think of fish tank accessories, decorations are often the first thing that com
- The Beautifull Hummingbirds
The hummingbirds diet requires nectar as a source of energy and for their protein source small insec
- Clumber Spaniel Puppy And Dog Information
The Clumber Spaniel is an intelligent, calm dog great for apartments as they do not need a great dea