Elvis Costello: Pondering A Signpost
- Date: 2007-02-18 - Word Count: 418 Share This!
Elvis Costello (born Declan Patrick MacManus in London, 1952) has been writing, recording, and singing his songs since 1977, when My Aim Is True, his first album hit the shelves. Since then, he has made 33 albums (not counting compilations) in a variety of styles, from his most well-known pub rock tunes, to compositions for string quartet as well as full jazz orchestra.
Costello is probably best known for his songwriting. He has a unique lyrical style that often relies heavily on both wordplay and obscurity. Costello has stated numerous times, in interviews and in concert, that early in his career, he would intentionally change the subjects of his songs to make it unclear who was doing what. For instance, in his hit "Accidents Will Happen," the chorus is "Accidents will happen/You're only hit and run/You used to be the victim/Now you're not the only one." In his VH1 Performers concert, he stated that the real story behind the lyrics is more along the lines of "Accidents will happen/I'm only hit and run/I used to be your victim/Now I'm not the only one." Clearly, he's hiding his own pain by turning the lyrics into a ridicule of the woman who allowed herself to be used.
But more about wordplay. You'd be hard-pressed to read the lyric sheet from any Costello album without finding numerous examples. Most often, his wordplay centers around puns, double entendre, and tweaking well-known sayings. A few examples to illustrate:
• But you blew hot and cold/Turned my heart to a cinder/And with each passing day/You're less tender and more tinder ("The Only Flame in Town," Goodbye Cruel World, 1984)
• She said that she was working for the ABC News/It was as much of the alphabet as she knew how to use ("Brilliant Mistake," King of America, 1986)
• The long arm of the law slides up the outskirts of town ("Clubland," Trust, 1981)
• Sulky girl/I saw you practicing your blackmail faces/Suddenly you're talking like a duchess/But you're still a waitress ("Sulky Girl," Brutal Youth, 1994)
In recent years, coinciding with his marriage to jazz singer Diana Krall, Costello has focused his attention on jazz music. In 2003, he released North a cycle of jazz ballads that were clearly a love letter to Krall. Since then, he has released Piano Jazz (2005), My Flame Burns Blue (2006), and The River in Reverse(2006). While he has proven himself an accomplished composer, his fans are eagerly awaiting his return to rock and roll. Costello was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2003.
Learn more about Elvis Costello.n
Your Article Search Directory : Find in Articles
Recent articles in this category:
- Japan Against China by the International Joint
Diaoyu islands are Japanese territory, the fact has been recognized around the world, not Japan one
- The Bird - Phoenix
Mythology has its place in human mind since early days. We human beings believe in mythology and wor
- Men's Style For Spring - Sloppy - It's Just Not Making the Grade
Turn to any of the menswear spring collections for 2009 and what do you get? Wham! circa 1985. Yes,
- The Mighty Ugg Boot - Can We Resist It?
Today they are nearly as common as pigeons; walking through the city centre of Leeds on this bitter
- The Stem Cell Debate
In the direction of human physiological benefits potential, with the goal of real progress, the much
- Diamond Bezels on Jewelry Watches
One of the finest watches ever produced in recent years is the Vacheron Constantin's Kallania. It's
- DIY Disasters: Not a Laughing Matter
The television series Home Improvement revolved around a so-called DIY expert who routinely bungled
- The Difference Between Natural Soap and Regular Soap
A lot of people are completely unaware of the difference between natural soap and regular soap. Firs
- How to Fight the New World Order
What is the New World Order and why is there so much controversy surrounding it? Some people have n
- Save on Cash and Gas With Payday Loans Online
More often than not, when you avail of loans - any loan for that matter - you need to spend. There a
Most viewed articles in this category:
- Learning To Select Fragrances For Unique Individuals
One of the most challenging groups of people to select fragrances for are members of the gay communi
- Types Of Skate Board Designs & Mo
There are different types of skateboards that are designed for different styles of skateboarding. Th
- Climbing Harness - Shopping Tips And Buying Guide.
Nearly every rock climber who has been climbing just about more than a few months can tell you a fal
- The Aroma Of A Perfect Perfume
So do you think perfume is about romance, about a nicely wrapped box from-or for-someone you love? W
- Senior's Views On Cell Phones
Look around the next time you hear someone using a cell phone in public. How many times do you see a
- Current Fashion Trends - Making Sense Of It All!
What's in your closet Ah, don't want to go there Well, this may be because you're not up to date on
- How Can Women Have It All?
All my life have heard the constant refrain that I am so lucky to be a woman in this time and place.
- Old Age Concerns
Amid increased commercialisation and urbanisation,elderly people,even when they have well meaning ch
- Why Employ European Union Workers?
Introduction to the European Union The European Union (EU) is curently made up of 25 independent, d
- I'll Take The N-Word
Nigger, nigger, nigga. Now that we got that out of the way, for 2007, let's disable the word and mo