5 Steps to Becoming a Virtual Assistant
Here are 5 steps that I went through in becoming a virtual assistant. These aren’t official by any means, rather a little road map to help you get started.
1) Begin bidding on freelance projects. There are many sites online that allow employers to post freelance projects they need completed. You are then able to bid on those projects. Some sites offer this service free to those bidding and others charge a nominal fee. A few of my favorite sites are Elance.com and Guru.com. Your best bet is to bid on as many projects as you feel you are qualified to complete. This is an important step because it will allow you to see what it’s like to work on a project to project basis. It can also give you a clearer idea of what people are really looking for freelancers to work on and what services you might want to offer.
2) Once you start looking around the freelance sites and are getting an idea of what services you want to perform, you need to take an inventory of your work space. Your home office must have everything a typical administrative assistant’s desk would. You also need to make sure that you have a work area that is separate from all distractions. Just because you’re working at home doesn’t mean that you aren’t working just as hard, in fact you’ll be working twice as hard for awhile.
3) At this point, the best thing you can do for yourself is spend as much time as possible exploring other virtual assistants’ sites. This will allow you to see what you like and don’t like on their sites. You’ll also get a much better idea of what services you’d like to offer and what prices you can reasonably charge for your time. Note, I’m not advocating copying, stealing or plagiarizing in any manner, just look around a lot to see what you’re getting yourself into.
4) You’ll notice when you’re looking around all of these virtual assistant sites that many of these professionals have different certifications and belong to all sorts of different organizations. I would recommend looking into all of them that you run across. It’s really your decision on which ones you’d like to join or whether you want to spend the money on those at all. However, many of these organizations will help you with site development, marketing and promotion. Plus, some potential clients will be more comfortable working with you simply because you have their seal on your site.
5) Now, you’re ready to start getting to work on your website. You’ve got to be realistic with this. It is essential that your website look very professional and express your mission and services in a very straightforward manner. If you have web design experience and feel confident in your abilities, then by all means get to work on your site. If you’re not an HTML wiz, it can be very overwhelming. However, based on what web hosting service you use and/or software you have or choose to purchase, it can be fairly easy. Look for software that doesn’t require you to know HTML. Also, look for templates that will help you get started very quickly. I could go on forever about all the ins and outs of web design for those new to this arena, but I’ll leave at this…your website is your portal for customer communication, marketing and sales, it must be professional, so if that means you must throw a little money in for some web design help, it’s probably worth it!
Being a virtual assistant can give you all the benefits of working at home and being your own boss, but you must be aware of what you’re getting into ahead of time. Be as prepared as possible and you’ll be a success!
Dana Wallert is the owner of an online virtual assistance company. She has many years experience in sales and marketing, as well as office management. Find more about Dana and sign up to receive her free monthly newsletter at DW Office Solutions - Virtual Assistant ServicesYour Article Search Directory : Find in Articles
Recent articles in this category:
- Ideas For Finding a Nanny Job
Looking after the welfare of children is a very important job. The role of caregivers in the present
- What There is to Know About a Temp Agency
A temp agency is a place were skilled office workers can go to get work. There are a number of diffe
- Discovering the Many Ways a Temp Agency Can Assist in a Down Economy
When out of money and unable to find work, often times can look hopeless. However, for many who have
- Careers That Require Financial Responsibility
Keeping your finances in order is important for any adult, but if you want to work in certain career
- What You Need To Know About Resumes And Cover Letters
If the ways of getting employed is composed of steps, the first task would be to come up with an imp
- How To Increase Your Chances Of Getting Hired
In trying to get a job, the person that you are going to impress, aside from your would-be boss, wou
- Tips on How to Get Hired in a Flash
Unemployment rate all over the world is undeniably huge. But, the bigger problem that professionals
- Tips and Techniques on Finding a Job Quickly
There are three ways on how you can get employed at the soonest possible time- that would be, knowin
- Securing Your Lifetime Starts Now
If by the time you're 30 and you still don't know what you want to do with your life, it should alre
- Occupational Therapy Jobs For a Career in Nursing
Occupational therapy jobs are undertaken by individuals who are willing to engage their skills in he
Most viewed articles in this category:
- Hollow Eyes Are Not Dark Circles Under The Eyes
Many people of all ages complain of dark circles under their eyes. The phrase "dark circles under th
- Career As A Hairstylist
Hairdressing is an art that involves arranging hair for aesthetic purposes, participation in formal
- Life After West Point Military School
West Point exists to educate and train Cadets who are commissioned as Officers in the US Army upon G
- Work Experience In Fashion - How To Get A Great Opportunity In Fashion Work
Work experience in fashion can be one of the most challenging positions to find. It's a simple equa
- Tips for Job Hunting in Today's Market
In order to be competitive in today's job market, you must stand apart from the competition. Just h
- Who are the EMTs
You'll find them at Denny's. At least I always do. Denny's, Coco's, Perkin's; any all-night restaura
- Hiring A New Assistant?
More and more small businesses and even larger companies are turning to virtual office assista
- You Too Can Start an Independent Record Label
It's no big secret, the trick of how to start a record label definitely involves some cash and most
- Increased Salary with a Medical Degree: Consider the Options
Physicians are probably one of the highest paid professionals in the world. They make a lot of money
- Big4 IT Consultants and The Road Ahead
b>Demand for Big 4 IT Consultants: "A Big 4 Accounting firm is seeking IT Auditors," "Big4 experienc