Can't Adopt-Take a Dog for a Walk
Of course the reality is that the sheltie will in all likelihood be a cross, the shepherd only vaguely identifiable as such only because it is the dominant breed of several present and the same may be said for the lab. Frisky, friendly, loving and eager to please, they spend most of their days behind barred doors in hopes that the next human to walk through the door will free them from the shackles of a crime they did not commit. Where is this place, you ask. How terrible! What can I do about it?
I refer of course to the SPCA and your local animal shelter which are not terrible at all. Thank goodness that such facilities exist, otherwise who knows what fate would await these animals who have outlived their usefulness and have been tossed out on the "redundant" dog scrap heap. Thank goodness that there is a temporary shelter for that lovable mutt - some good loving care, food, vet help, exercise - for perhaps a week or a tad longer and then hopefully a new home.
The shelters all over the country are filled to capacity and manpower is often stretched to the limit. Dogs need to socialize both amongst themselves and with humans and can fall into depression if this very important activity is curtailed. You can help. Pick a day, or two or more and decide that these will be your dog walking days. Or, if you have total time flexibility, call up your local animal shelter and ask them when your help would be most welcome.
Now you have a walking companion. Here are just some benefits:
- By taking on the chore of walking a dog or two, you will free up some valuable time for the employees of the center who can then devote more of their time and attention to other much needed activities.
- Dogs need exercise. So do people. Too many of us succumb to the lure of the couch and the numbing programs we find on TV. Is it any wonder then that we are becoming an overweight nation. Walking as little as just half an hour a day or at least an hour three times a week helps us keep those unwanted pounds away from us and the result is a healthier you.
- You'll develop new friends - granted most of them will answer to double syllable names like Plato, Snoopy, Darby and more. You'll be met with an enthusiastic welcome, smothered with slobbery kisses, hugged to bits with eagerness and gratefully thanked with heart melting glances. You'll get no backtalk and won't need to worry if you're dressed right or know the latest in hip talk.
- Research shows that dogs have a calming effect on us. Studies indicate that after being in the company of a dog for a half hour or more, tension and stress levels are significantly reduced in humans. Walking a dog takes your mind off a problem or more importantly, gives you the quiet time to think things through without pressure. - Fresh air ... enough said. Everyone knows that fresh air stimulates the brain and increases our mental capacity. - You'll learn and grow. You'll learn more about animals and when the time is right you will be better prepared to care for a pooch of your own. .
Here in my own back yard, there is a small group of very youthful senior citizens. They call themselves the K-nines. Three mornings a week they head off to the local SPCA and make a lot of dogs happy. Word is getting out in the community and others are either joining this group or starting their own. It all began with just one woman who loved dogs but lived in an apartment that did not allow pets. Oh yes, on each outing this motley crew walks 9 kilometers which is just a little over 5 miles. Are they having a good time? You bet! Are they getting fit? Yup! Are they helping their community? Absolutely! Can you do the same? Why not? Can't adopt? Walk!
Related Tags: dog, dogs, animal shelter, lab, sheltie, shepherd, mans best friend, furry friend, spca, dog walker
Valentina Bellicova is a world traveller, an author and a public speaker. An ardent student of life she observes that every human is bettered for having had a dog in their life. Visit Valentina's online dog emporium at http://www.sitbooboosit.comYour Article Search Directory : Find in Articles
Recent articles in this category:
- Dog Barking - The Message Behind The Noise
Dogs use a wide range of noises to communicate their feelings about everything. If you have a vocal
- How To House Train A Dog
The keys to successful house training are confinement, training, timing and praise. A dog does not n
- Optimizing K-9 Health And Performance
Every Working Dog handler knows that "Failure to Thrive" and "Hip Dysplasia" are big issues for Shep
- Training Aids for Your Special Dog
If you are one of the many dog owners of today that are having a hard time controlling your canine p
- The Separation Anxiety Dog - How to Protect Your Dog From Home When You Leave Home
If you've got a dog that suffers from dog separation anxiety then you are probably afraid to leave y
- Dog Life Jackets-Don't Let Your Dog Become Another Tragic Statistic
Providing easy visibility and high buoyancy, a dog life jacket or dog life vest is essential for the
- Beardie Sam Goes Missing (4)
It was a freezing January morning - one when the earth truly stood hard as iron, the water like a st
- What Genetic Diseases Should Goldendoodle Breeders Be Testing For In The Parents?
What genetic diseases should goldendoodle breeders be testing for in the parents?Goldendoodles are s
- Benefits of Homemade Dog Food
Homemade dog food is exactly what the name implies - dog food that is made from home. There are man
- Homemade Dog Food - Treat Your Dog to Recipes Fit for a King
It's just a fact - dogs enjoy people food. Dogs love to eat steak, hamburgers, hot dogs, pizza and
Most viewed articles in this category:
- Is An Anatolian Shepherd Dog Puppy The Right Choice For Me And My Family?
The Anatolian Shepherd Dog was developed as a large dog to guard livestock. She is powerful, and rug
- Dog Training Equipment
Dog training is a method of teaching your dog to perform certain activities through obeying your ord
- I Am Thinking of Buying a New Puppy
When you bring home your new puppy, they are so cute and playful, jumping around and getting into ev
- Your Dog And New Year's Resolutions
The New Year is a time for making resolutions, things that you want to change to make the year a bri
- Chihuahuas Get a Solid "YES" Vote From Paula Abdul and Other Celebrities
She may not be able to put up with Simon Cowell and his sharp-tongued criticisms on American Idol, b
- How to Raise Your Dog
So you have decided that you want a pet and have chosen a dog as the animal you would like to share
- Dog Air Travel - Tips for Traveling by Airplane With Your Lovable Dog
Luckily for dog owners, these animals travel by air better than cats. If the dog is accustomed to ca
- Dog Behavior Problem: What To Do About It?
Many of us have lovely dogs, which are like a member of the family. Everyone in the family loves the
- Top 5 dog behaviour training tips
Hello fellow dog trainers and people alike. Now, a lot of people have contacted me recently to ask m
- How To Keep Your Dog Free of Fleas
Fleas are more than just disgusting; they will carry several serious diseases, parasites and even we