Acid Reflux - Calm Your Gut in 9 Easy Ways
The symptoms of acid reflux can be so discomforting to go on unnoticed. That burning sensation behind the breastbone accompanied by the all-too familiar pressure in the chest and the telltale sour taste in the mouth can be so disturbing that you just have to deal with it fast!
Here is some good news! You do not need to go on suffering from the symptoms of acid reflux forever. To prevent or ease discomfort caused by acid reflux, just follow these simple suggestions.
1. Maintain a healthy weight. Being overweight increases anyone's chances of suffering from painful bouts with acid reflux. The excess weight puts additional pressure on the lower esophageal sphincter, which in turn triggers the reflux reaction.
2. Take smaller portions at mealtime. Eating too much at any one time causes the stomach to expand way above its normal capacity. This puts you on the danger zone once more since it can send off the excess food and stomach acids back into the esophagus! If this triggers your reflux reaction, you are better off eating smaller portions several times during the day.
3. Load up on fiber-rich foods. Vegetables, fruits and multi-grain bread and cereals are all good for you. These foods will not only help you lose weight, they can also help minimize acid reflux! Fiber-rich foods are scientifically proven to minimize stomach acidity and aid in the digestion of foods. Hence, loading up with these kinds of foods may help you a lot in dealing with your acid reflux.
4. No to nicotine and alcohol! Smoking and drinking are two of the most common factor, which worsen acid reflux. Nicotine and alcohol cause the muscles of the esophagus to loosen which can trigger the onset of a reflux reaction. In addition, alcohol adds up to the acidity of the stomach contents, which also aggravates the condition.
5. Walk away from acid reflux. Cardio-vascular activities may help you in warding off an acid reflux episode since they accelerate weight loss and improve circulation. Walking is a great form of cardio-vascular exercise and it can definitely help you in keeping acid reflux at bay.
6. Reduce stress. In addition to your regular exercise, why not try to incorporate yoga or other stress-reducing activities to your routine? Stress is also a well-known aggressor of acid reflux and reducing stress will definitely give you a better fighting chance against this discomforting condition.
7. Avoid lying down right after a meal. If your idea of rest puts you in a prone position right after a meal, well, think again! This may induce a change in your stomach pressure and trigger the backflow of stomach acids. To avoid this from happening, make sure that you eat your dinner at least 3 to 4 hours before bedtime.
8. Make gravity work for you! Why not make gravity your ally instead of it being your enemy? Nighttime acid reflux can be significantly worse than daytime reflux since it can cause a greater damage in your esophagus, not to mention that it may also keep you up all night! To solve these bedtime triggers, make sure that you elevate your head using extra pillows to keep you in a more upright position as you sleep.
9. Loosen it up! If you like to wear tight fitting clothes, you may be in for a very discomforting situation. Studies indicate that wearing tight fitting clothes may aggravate your acid reflux. Belts, panty hoses and waistbands may put undue pressure on the stomach and send off stomach contents back up into the esophagus. It would be wiser to go for comfortable clothes instead to reduce pressure build-up in your middle.
Related Tags: acid reflux
Your Independent guide to Acid RefluxYour Article Search Directory : Find in Articles
Recent articles in this category:
- Newly Discovered Obesity Gene
Scientists have pinpointed the obesity gene, which can be passed from parent to child. Due to the re
- Risks of Eating Disorder During Pregnancy
Any eating disorder is extremely dangerous for the body. Anyone suffering from an eating disorder i
- Heartburn - Is Glutamine a Cure?
The relief and treatment of heartburn, acid reflux, and GERD is a huge billion-dollar-a-year market,
- I Realized That Instead Of Willpower, I Was Stuck With A Whole Bunch Of Won't Power!
Like many other people, I've lived most of my life with an eating disorder. However, I really didn't
- Size Zero - The New Killer
I am very concerned about our young, and maybe not so young, women today, who seem obsessed with loo
- Teen Eating Disorders - What Are The Signs?
Eating disorders mainly occur because of a combination of emotional, physical, and spiritual factors
- Vegan Diet: Eating Healthy Tips
So first of all, you have to educate yourself about being a vegan.1. Know the facts of the vegan die
- Apple Cider Vinegar and Getting Rid of Heartburn
Apple cider vinegar and getting rid of heartburn? The two don't seem to go together. In fact, the th
- An Introduction To Eating Disorders
Eating disorders are among those modern conditions which aren't always taken seriously by the wider
- From Dieting To Anorexia - Can Dieting Lead To Eating Disorders?
Anorexia nervosa is difficult to combat because victims of this eating disorder are not fully aware
Most viewed articles in this category:
- Eating Disorders - Serious Business
There are four main eating disorders: Anorexia, Bulimia, Binge Eating Disorder, and Compulsive Overe
- Anorexia and Bulimia: What Puts The "Die" in Dieting
The media has a powerful influence on trends -- be it fashion, music, or the arts. Media has a huge
- Compulsive Overeating: Spotting Signs and Symptoms
Eating Disorders are usually associated with Anorexia and Bulimia. When someone says "eating disord
- Why Some People Overeat With Gerd
Gerd, or Gastro Esophageal Reflux Disease, is not so much a disease but a chronic condition that str
- All You Need To Know About Nervous Anorexia - Part Two
How could parents be responsible for their children's Anorexia and how?Studies concerning factors le
- GERD - Medication or Lifestyle Change? Your Choice!
Once your doctor has diagnosed you with acid reflux or gastroesophageal reflux disease you will sta
- All You Need To Know About Nervous Anorexia - Part One
Known as well under the definition of Anorexia Nervosa, this disease tends to be a very often encoun
- Acid Reflux? What Should I Do If I Have One?
If you experience some acid reflux disease symptoms and suspect that you might be suffering from aci
- The Causes of Eating Disorders and Their Symptoms
Most people perceive people with eating disorders as having an obsession with food. However, this p
- Understanding The Characteristics Of Anorexia Nervosa
Anorexia has received a lot of publicity in recent years, but how can you identify if someone you lo