A Business Plan-Do You Need One?
You Need To Decide Whether To Start A Business Or Buy A Business. This plan will help you improve your chances for success and avoid making serious mistakes. You may be the only one who reads this plan, although you should have input from a number of other people with business experience. You need to ask yourself the following questions and incorporate the answers in your business plan:
• What does it take to succeed in this type of company?
• Do you have the skills and background necessary?
• Can you afford to take the risk? What effect would the business' failure have on you?
• What is the growth potential for the business? Can it meet your financial expectations and requirements?
• Is there a large enough market for your products/services?
• Will you enjoy owning and managing the business?
You Want To Better Organize Your Company or Improve Its Operations. This is a time and task oriented plan for use internally. It suggests actions that need to be taken and assigns responsibility. Questions that need to be answered:
• How does our company compare to leaders in its industry?
• What are our management weaknesses? How can we make improvements?
• How can we increase sales, serve the customer better, improve manufacturing efficiency, increase the gross margin?
You Are Seeking A Bank Loan. This plan is used to inspire confidence in your banker and convince her/him that your business is a good credit risk. It is written very logically, with an emphasis on the financial projections and presentation of historical financial results. Bankers who make bad loans get fired, so they like to err on the side of caution. A banker is looking for safety and a demonstration that the company can generate sufficient cash flow to pay the interest and the principal. You'll need answers to these questions:
• Will the company's cash flow be stable enough to make the payments on the loan?
• Are the long term prospects of the business favorable?
• Does the company have a reasonably good track record?
You Want To Sell Your Business You must prove to a potential buyer that your company is worth paying a premium for. Sometimes this can be called a marketing presentation, offering memorandum, or valuation. It is not strictly a valuation, as you are trying to establish your sales price for the business, not determine a value. Usually a valuation is completed by an objective third party. You're likely to be asked:
• Is there untapped potential for the business that a new owner could take advantage of?
• If the new owner had more capital, could the business grow more rapidly?
• Are there new markets that could be entered?
• Could costs be reduced and therefore profits increased?
You Need An Investor/Partner. The plan must demonstrate considerable upside potential for the business. The banker was content to get his money back plus 10% interest. The investor may want a return of 30% to 50% or more. This plan must be written in an interesting manner and keep the reader's attention. Your business plan is competing with all the other plans submitted to the investor. Make sure you address the following questions:
• Can the company grow rapidly?
• Are the margins attractive?
• Have you succeeded in other business ventures?
• Is this a market that is emerging, with a large and bright future?
• How much of the company are you willing to give up, both in equity and management control?
Related Tags: business plan, business planning, format, free business plan, raising capital
Receive a free business plan format by sending an email to businessplan@(nospam)businessplan-basics.com - remove the (nospam) from the address, or visit http://www.BusinessPlan-Basics.com You will also receive a subscription to our newsletter at no charge.
About The Authors Brian Hill and Dee Power have written several nonfiction books including "Business Plan Basics," "The Making of a Bestseller: Success Stories from Authors and the Editors, Agents and Booksellers Behind Them," Dearborn Trade, and "Attracting Capital From Angels," John Wiley & Sons. Reach them through http://www.BrianHillAndDeePower.comYour Article Search Directory : Find in Articles
Recent articles in this category:
- Work At Home Mums: Making Time For You.
I questioned if this subject would be worthy of a complete article, however it's an vital factor in
- Property Investing 7 Reasons Why Now Is A Good Time To Invest
Conventional wisdom has this to say about property investing; the best time to invest in property is
- Chocolate Gifts: The Perfect Corporate Gifts For Your Colleagues
It's always a good feeling to give messages of thanks to your colleagues who helped you finish that
- Singapore Company For Foreign Entrepreneurs And Business Entities
There are three unique types of Singapore company that have been specifically created for foreign en
- Important Objectives Of Packaging
The function of packaging is not simply only physical protection but also marketing, barrier protect
- Establish Your New Global Web-based Enterprise Right Now
This is the perfect point in time to set up your global web business.The Internet business field is
- The Ups And Downs Of Entrepreneurship
There are two kinds of entrepreneurs. First, there is the entrepreneur that is commonly associated w
- Problem Of Funds To Start A Small Business
If you are determined to do some business on your own rather than doing office work in other people'
- Do Business Tactfully Incorporating Third Party Logistics!
If you are an experienced entrepreneur, then you can certainly value two major factors; quality work
- Home Stagers Can Work As Much Or As Little As They Wish
Many Staging Diva Graduates start out as part-time home stagers because they simply can't afford to
Most viewed articles in this category:
- Starting A Day Care Center Can Be Profitable When Following These Five Ingredients Of Success
The demand for child day care in the US is rising. This is due to many factors including but not lim
- Being an Entrepreneur
I have never been the conventional type. I always did something different from everybody else. I jo
- It Takes a Decision To Succeed
I am truly amazed at how often I hear people talk about what they want and yet when I ask them if th
- Art Therapy: Array your Art Workshop at Work
There is so much going on in the world today. President Bush is moving things around in Washington.
- Proven Income Opportunity Success Stories
There are alot of scams out there claiming that they have a proven income opportunity. I totally agr
- Sometimes You Have to Abandon the Experts, Theories and Books and Trust Your Intuition
As the coordinator for the online think tank often we get into debates with experts and Ph.D.'s abou
- Mums - Park And Ride Your Way To A Second Income
Have you ever noticed that when you are in a hurry to catch a bus there never seems to be one? Or pe
- How to Protect Yourself if Your House Value Drops, or Your Income is Lost - Part 2
Robert Shiller, is the author of the runaway bestseller, Irrational Exuberance. Shiller has recently
- Home Business Solutions for Earning a Residual Income
Starting a home business is a huge step. Maybe you want to earn an extra income, extra spending mone
- Beginnings of Business Opportunities
One of the secrets of successful people is that they look at every encounter as an opportunity. This