Oracle Applications (Oracle E-Business Suite) Customizations: What is it?
Oracle recommends every company that installs Oracle Applications to avoid any customization, but I have not seen any company that utilizes it and have not done any customization.
There are two types of Customizations: Extensions and Modifications.
· Extensions are components developed by customer, using the development features provided by Oracle within the E-business Suite. Oracle has provided guidelines and standards for creating extensions. It is extremely recommended that those are followed; it will certify that the new objects (extensions) are kept separate from standard E-business components.
· Modifications are changes done in the standard E-business suite objects or code. For example, a customer gets a database trigger from Oracle Applications database and makes some changes in the code. When customers follow this approach it is very difficult to identify the changes that have been done in the Oracle Applications, and this will affect future upgrades.
There are some common extensions on Oracle Applications Suite:
· Alert: Oracle Alerts facilitates the flow of information within a customer’s organization. Oracle workflow is used to develop new alerts.
· Database Objects: when the functionality is not available in Oracle Applications, it is possible to create a set of database objects. If the creation is necessary, it has to be done carefully, once it could impact the performance and the integrity of the system.
· File System and Custom Directory: always use the standard Oracle Flexible Architecture (OFA). This helps you to standardize installation and maintenance procedures. Create a new directory ($CUSTOM_TOP) and store all the customization in there.
· Forms: provides a way of populating custom tables. Oracle has provided a guideline for its implementation that must be followed. It has to be coded and tested properly; otherwise it can compromise the data integrity.
· Reports: Oracle provides the most usual reports and every company has to develop to their specific formats. Oracle Reports builder is the tool to be used and there are some risks in case of an upgrade, once that the schema of the objects used by Reports and Oracle eBusiness Suite can be changed in future releases.
Customization is a need at any company that has implemented Oracle Applications. Oracle is frequently advising everyone to avoid any kind customization. I agree in some part with Oracle, I would just change this advice to “Extend but not modify”.
Andrew Karasev is Chief Technology Officer in Alba Spectrum Technologies – USA nationwide Great Plains, Microsoft CRM customization company, serving Chicago, California, Arizona, Texas, Florida, Georgia, New York, Australia, UK, Canada, Germany, Continental Europe, Russia and having locations in multiple states and internationally ( http://www.albaspectrum.com ), he is Dexterity, SQL, C#.Net, Crystal Reports and Microsoft CRM SDK developer
Your Article Search Directory : Find in Articles
Recent articles in this category:
- Web Development Projects - Developers Tools Tips
Open source usually refers to software that is released with source code under a license that ensur
- A Guide to Cnc Kits
Building a CNC machine means that you would require a lot of tools, parts or different components.
- Xlphoto Printing, the Best Choice for Banner Printing and Poster Printing
Suppose, you have visited a tourist spot or a hill station; over there, you have witnessed some of
- Reliable Software Programming
Software reliability is an important facet of software quality. It is defined as "the probability
- Designing an Ecommerce Site
In a recent article I talked about Google AdSense placement based on eye-tracking research. Howeve
- Asp.net Development Benefits
Rightway solution has been keenly looking out for. Microsoft ASP.NET is a free technology that allo
- Choosing Offshore Software Development Company
To turn into successful and gain the full benefits of software outsourcing, you require preferring
- E-commerce and Web Portal Development in Vietnam
VIETNAM, owing to its superior intellectual capital has emerged as the ultimate destination for
- Types of Softwares
Computer software is a general term used to describe a collection of computer programs, procedur
- Offshore it Out Sourcing Consultancy in Vietnam
Vendors who provide Off shore IT Outsourcing Consultancy services are referred to as outsourcing
Most viewed articles in this category:
- Offshore Outsourcing: An All Win Premise
The awareness that outsourcing can boost productivity sans forfeit of class has impelled MNC’s
- Oracle E-Business Suite vs. Microsoft Dynamics AX - Axapta: LATAM and Brazil
In this small article we will only concentrate on Microsoft Dynamics Axapta (and will not consider M
- Microsoft Great Plains - licensing and product versions
Current Microsoft Business Solutions Great Plains has more that 10 years of history. Former Gr
- SAP Business One vs. Microsoft Dynamics GP - highlights for consultant
In this small article we will not make side-by-side technical specs comparison. We would rathe
- OCR Software - Optical Character Recognition or Optical Crud Recognition?
Optical Character Recognition (OCR) refers to a software technology and processes that involve the t
- Microsoft Dynamics AX-GP-NAV-CRM: trends and international recommendations
Microsoft Great Plains/Microsoft Dynamics GP, Microsoft Navision (former Attain) Microsoft Dynamics
- Microsoft Dynamics AX - Axapta - technical notes plus customization
Axapta or current name Microsoft Dynamics AX has one of the newest ERP design and architecture among
- Microsoft Moves to Small Business Accounting/Retail Market - stakes and thoughts
In this small article we will be looking at the new opportunities for Microsoft Small Business Serve
- Microsoft Axapta - Dynamics AX: Brazilian Portuguese version - consultant highlights
Axapta/Microsoft Dynamics AX short overview. Navision Axapta was designed by Navision Software
- Software Development paying attention to Outsourcing
The pharmaceutical goods to manufacture, developed products which are outsource to various destinati